Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice On High Milage D4D2.2

80andybrown80

Hello,

Its been a few years since I last posted here. My trusty 2002 d4d has retired to the scrapyard after the belt broke on the way home last week :(

The usual mangled mess under the bonnet.

I now need one quick time as I have a caravan holiday booked and paid for 29th June !!!

I have a budget of £6000 and would really like to own the newer 2006 model with the 2.2 Diesel engine for a wee bit of extra power to pull the caravan.

There are two for sale close to where I live and at that price and year have high miles on the clock. Both have just over 100k.

If they have been looked after and well serviced can anyone give me advice on how the engines stand up and is it realistic to get at least another 3 years / 30-40k miles from it ?

What problems should I look for / listen for on this newer models.

Any engine gurus please let me know as the holiday is less than two weeks away.

Many thanks

Andy

Try and find one that has had the engine changed or at least has a full service history (VAT reg garage is OK) so that you can have a new engine fitted if it uses oil or has head gasket problems.

Other than that, just have a good look round and see what has been done.

Have a look at the Ravs for Sale at top of page, Andy.....personally speaking 100k miles to tow a caravan without knowing its precise provenence ....? Nah.....

Big Kev

Do you know if they have had a new clutch fitted,as this would be my concern as you will be pulling a caravan.

Doosan

It does sound a bit of a tall order to me :(

you would also need to budget for a Towbar and full electrics as well, unless you bought a high-miler with one already fitted (which in turn would make that vehcile even more of a gamble)

I think the best advice if budget really fixed would be as Don has suggested ref find a motor with a new motor!

Thanks for the replies guys. By the way Doosan - you're caravan is the same as mine :) Bailey Pagent 6 series right ?

My head is a swimming now. Went out for a test drive in two different 05 models both with 85k on the clock. They are still around £5500 and a facelift from the 02 I used to own. I noticed the old d4d belt squeel on both jeeps. Added to that I had the misfortune of the DMF flywheel exploding on my previous one as well so is it just the devil in disguise going for those again. (does the facelift model suffer this same problem ?)

After hearing a mention about looking for one with a new engine I found one close by. Its a 2006 (new Shape) Hyundia Santa Fe 2.2 CDRX Auto Shiney black and mint inside and out. Only thing it has 155k on the clock. A new engine was fitted under Hyundia warrenty at 98k by the dealer. So really the engine has 55k the rest 155k.

I still need to confirm what exactly a new engine means. Is it the whole lot, gearbox n all or just the actual block and pistons. Aparently he has the log book and all receipts for the work done. Looks like a brilliant jeep but the overall millage does scare me.

I think I've boiled it down to 100k 2006 Rav or the Santa Fe with new engine.

Please any further thoughts much appreciated.

I don't think there have been any reports of DMF failures on the Toyota 2.2 engines.

The comments on the "look for one with a new engine" were not really about diesels not being able to handle 100k+ miles in general, but that the first generation 2.2AD engine can have a problem with excessive oil consumption and Toyota have a current policy of replacing engines exhibiting that issue upto 7 years old or around 112K miles (I think), so the cars ou are looking at will be borderline for that policy due to age & miles but could (only could, NOT will) still be affected.

The replacement engines have redesigned components that should eliminate that issue.

There is a comprehensive thread about this within the pinned sections at the top of the page.

Many thanks Hoovie, going to read up on it now.

Thanks for the replies guys. By the way Doosan - you're caravan is the same as mine :) Bailey Pagent 6 series right ?

Yes you are right S6 Champagne.

Have a look on this(a brilliant site if you own a caravan) Caravan Forum about the Hyundai http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/65034-hyundai-mpg-is-shocking/

Doosan

Sorted at last :) Although it may make some here cringe, I found a fantastic Honda CRV 2.2 Sport 2006 Black with side bars etc 62k on the clock and a towbar.

It was owned from new by a disabled lady and boy its like a brand new Jeep. I really did want to stay with the Rav but this was just way to good to pass up.

A friend of mine is in the trade and was keeping an eye out for me, this rolled in this morning as a trade in for some sort of mobility scheme.

Full Honda dealer service history from my local dealership too. I think a fell over and landed butter side up this time. Makes a change.

Many thanks for the advice guys.

Apart from the CR-V having looks only a mother could love, by all accounts a fantastic motor (I loved my HR-V :) )

Sounds a decent deal there :thumbsup:

Sorted at last :) Although it may make some here cringe, I found a fantastic Honda CRV 2.2 Sport 2006 Black with side bars etc 62k on the clock and a towbar.

It was owned from new by a disabled lady and boy its like a brand new Jeep. I really did want to stay with the Rav but this was just way to good to pass up.

A friend of mine is in the trade and was keeping an eye out for me, this rolled in this morning as a trade in for some sort of mobility scheme.

Full Honda dealer service history from my local dealership too. I think a fell over and landed butter side up this time. Makes a change.

Many thanks for the advice guys.

Glad you are sorted with a very popular tow car.

As a caravan owner have a look at this site for a wealth of information http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/

You wont be disappointed.

Doosan

Just keep an eye on it at first. Early diesel CRVs used considerable amounts of engine oil.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links