Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Oil (Semi Synthetic) V Other Oil (Fully Synthetic)

stu_cole

Hi All

The car I have is 4 years old and I would like my local garage (not Mr T) to service the vehicle

I have sourced the original Toyota part numbers and costs for filters etc and these will be purchased from Pentagon Toyota (See attached picture)

My question is about oil

The oil that has been used in the past is the Toyota Semi Synthetic (Part No T08880-80825)

This part number which is on the service invoices is a 10W-40

The spec of the Toyota oil is "Premium Fuel Economy Engine Oil To API SL/CF ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 Specification"

There is another Toyota part number T08880-80845 ("From The Toyota Range Of Car Care Products Fuel Economy Engine Oil To ACEA: A1 / B1 Specification"

) this is a Synthetic blend 5W-30 but this doesn't appear on the invoices

I would probably like to use a fully synthetic from someone like Opie Oils - Fuchs TITAN GT1 XTL 5W-40 - Fully Synthetic - ACEA A3 / B4 - ACEA C3 - API SN/SM/CF

Q. Would Toyota take a dim view of using a better quality / non Toyota oil if there was a problem with the engine?

Feedback/ Opinions would be appreciated

Cheers

Stu

(P.S. Also attached is a screen shot of my current MPG )

post-117057-0-55943000-1342094813_thumb.

post-117057-0-09467000-1342095006_thumb.

08880-80845 is 5w 30 semi which is the grade recommended

Nobody could take a dim view of putting a better grade of oil in, but I am old school and recommend what the manufacturer recommends, 5w 30 semi synthetic

The oil thread has been done to death on here, search it and you will see what I mean, just buy a good quality, 5w 30 semi synthetic and you will not go wrong, you will not be paying top dollar either :rolleyes:

Here is a list of Toyota oils and numbers

480078494_o.jpg

These are the recommended oils

560218885_o.jpg

Kingo :thumbsup:

ta for that Kingo

I'm still a bit bemused why FRF Toyota in Swansea put 10w-40 (08880-80825) in the car for ALL the services when this isn't the recommended oil for the 2.0 D4D

Anyway it's good to know that it should be a 5w-30

Do you know if Toyota's oil is any good in comparison with a major brand oil (I'm not rubbishing the Toyota oil but obviously they don't manufacture for themselves)

Cheers

One thing Toyota do is to make sure that anything they endorse is decent quality. The latest oils are made by Chevron (well the bulk oils are) I think the pack oils are too but they do change from time to time, but are always from the major players. It will be blended to Toyota spec whoever makes it, so it will always meet or exceed their own specifications

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links