Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 54 Plate Fault Code Checker - Where To Stick It?

Avenger2

Dear Comrades,

I have an Avensis 54 plate – VVTI petrol Auto. The engine warning light has just come on again after I had the radiator replaced. I can only assume the garage knocked the sensors – which seem to be extremely twitchy – but are probably absolutely fine.

I stopped having o2 sensors replaced after I got sick of the expense and after I just left the warning light on for a couple of months and it went off of its own accord – and after I found that the car continues to run fine (and pass MOTs) without the replacement. I am now slightly concerned about the warning lamp criteria for the new MOT test, despite VOSA not specifically mentioning engine warning lights.

Questions:

1) I want to know what the error is and to buy an OBD2 tester (eBay £13.95). Please could you tell me where on the Avensis I can plug an OBD2 tester in to check fault codes?

2) Is there an easy way to reset the ECU without the need for a garage and are there any problems with doing this?

Many thanks

OBD2 reader is under the bonnet latch on driver side, its got cover on it you will have to remove.

Dear Comrades,

I have an Avensis 54 plate – VVTI petrol Auto. The engine warning light has just come on again after I had the radiator replaced. I can only assume the garage knocked the sensors – which seem to be extremely twitchy – but are probably absolutely fine.

I stopped having o2 sensors replaced after I got sick of the expense and after I just left the warning light on for a couple of months and it went off of its own accord – and after I found that the car continues to run fine (and pass MOTs) without the replacement. I am now slightly concerned about the warning lamp criteria for the new MOT test, despite VOSA not specifically mentioning engine warning lights.

Questions:

1) I want to know what the error is and to buy an OBD2 tester (ebay £13.95). Please could you tell me where on the Avensis I can plug an OBD2 tester in to check fault codes?

2) Is there an easy way to reset the ECU without the need for a garage and are there any problems with doing this?

Many thanks

To reset the ECU just remove the Negative Battery lead from the Battery for a few minutes. The radio isn't coded but you may lose the presets for the stations you have stored, just store them again.

Pete.

And you will also need to do the power windows "learning" procedure for the automatic windows function to work.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links