Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

About To Buy . . 3Rd Gen Prius

ProfZarkov

Troll alert!!

I used to service Datsuns :lol: I think Collos has been in a timewarp if he thinks a Prius is like a Datsun

Complicated? Yes, probably, but you don't need to know too much about the complicated bits, just drive them for what they are, a fantastic car, comfortable, good MPG, low emissions etc etc

A chap stopped and asked me about my Auris Hybrid the other night, I'm thinking of getting one of these, what are they like? I said superb, 1.8 auto that does 57 MPG without too much trying, low emissions, comfortble etc. He had a Mondeo diesel manual and said "Mine does 60 MPG, I dont think I will bother swapping then" I reminded him his diesel will be pumping out all sorts of NOX and soot, and it was a manual and he was trying to compare apples with oranges. Always makes me smile, people just don't get Hybrid!!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Troll alert!!

I used to service Datsuns :lol: I think Collos has been in a timewarp if he thinks a Prius is like a Datsun

Complicated? Yes, probably, but you don't need to know too much about the complicated bits, just drive them for what they are, a fantastic car, comfortable, good MPG, low emissions etc etc

A chap stopped and asked me about my Auris Hybrid the other night, I'm thinking of getting one of these, what are they like? I said superb, 1.8 auto that does 57 MPG without too much trying, low emissions, comfortble etc. He had a Mondeo diesel manual and said "Mine does 60 MPG, I dont think I will bother swapping then" I reminded him his diesel will be pumping out all sorts of NOX and soot, and it was a manual and he was trying to compare apples with oranges. Always makes me smile, people just don't get Hybrid!!

Kingo :thumbsup:

I had a Mk3 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 6 Speed Manual diesel and it would do 60 mpg if I drove it economically on a long run on A-roads, on the same run I get 70 mpg with the Prius. The Mondeo would do 55mpg on the motorway at 60-70 mph, probably about the same as the Prius. Mondeo did 42mpg on my short commute to work in the Summer, whereas I'm getting 56mpg with the Prius. The Mondeo would do 35mpg on my short commute in Winter, Prius does 38mpg at worse (extreme cold), but usually around 45mpg. So in conclusion with the exception of motorway trips, the prius is around 10mpg better than the Mondeo, but owning the MK3 mondeo was like a ticking time bomb waiting for the Dual mass flywheel, fuel pump or the injectors to blow.

I also had a MK4 Mondeo 2.0TDCI Automatic just before the prius and that did 56mpg on a run and 32mpg on my short commute, funnily enough these figures didn't vary by much from winter to summer with that one.

The problem with later diesels is the Particulate filter is not too happy with short commutes and tends to clog.

Hello

Thanks for all the comments!

Had a chance to take it out for a longer drive on Saturday: Blagdon (North Somerset) to Symonds Yat(Wye Valley), about 50 miles each way.

I seemed to have got 72.5 mpg on the drive out - mixture of country roads, dual carriageway, motorway and river valley roads.

My wife had her first "go" on the return journey and lowered this to an overall 68.5 mpg for the round 100+ mile trip.

Quite impressive.

I imagine if you kept it in power mode and stuck to the "old ways", i.e. screaming up to every junction, slam on brakes, tear away from junction then the mpg will suffer. In eco mode it was fine for the grockle day trip. Coming from a diesel X-type Jag which did, at best 40 mpg, this will be quite a saving in fuel costs.

The motor can be complicated but it can also be easy - just jump in and go, if you want, ignore the dash, ignore any clutch/gear changes - Simples!

Most of the hefty handbook dealt with stuff I haven't got (bluetooth, moon roof, radar . . . etc).

Cheers

Steve

Pleased you are enjoying your new Prius. I hardly ever use power mode. I use ECO for all urban journeys. You got a better fuel consumption on your journey out than I have ever done. If you ever need to drive in London apply to Transport for London for congestion charge exemption. Congestion charge annual fee of £10 per year for the Prius. The form is availailable on the web. Happy motoring.

The best I've ever had is 65 MPG on the motorway at a steady 65 MPH, I'm convinced that the last service at least (I only bought the car in Feb and was an ex-lease) the wrong oil was used (prob a 5w30 or similar), when 0W20 is what's specified and what is put in from factory.

When it goes in for a service in December I'll be reminding them frequently!

Firstly hello,I have just bought a 2008 Prius t spirit and I am upto press very pleased with the car .

The problem I have is one of the keys will not lock or unlock the doors it starts the car ok I have changed the battery and the small light in the fob works I do not want to go down the road of buying a new key unless I have to any ideas anyone.

This will be probably my only comment on this site I had a 2012 T spirit for a fortnight it was the worst car I have ever owned overcomplicated unecomical and reminded me of a 1974 datsun 180 how an established company can make such a car is beyond me.

Strange change of opinion in a fortnight - and the car has got four years younger, unless, of course, Collos is referring to two different cars.

This will be probably my only comment on this site I had a 2012 T spirit for a fortnight it was the worst car I have ever owned overcomplicated unecomical and reminded me of a 1974 datsun 180 how an established company can make such a car is beyond me.

Yes those 1974 datsun 180s were terribly complicated with their factory fitted radios werent they? The white datsuns were very similar in colour to the white prius too, I can understand how you think that one reminds you of the other; maybe you have a stick which would match them both? Since all cars depreciate at a truly astronomical rate the moment they leave the showroom, I understand how you might feel that any car is an uneconomical prospect after disposing of it within a fortnight of purchase. Lets hope that your next purchase is made with more consideration than your post.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links