Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Daft Question

Bearcat

Not a daft question, but a daft thing to do (not run-in your new engine, that is).

I can't quote the handbook at you (you know, that thing taking up all the space in the glovebox) but I am sure it has recommendations.

Basically, bits of metal rubbing together (engine, gearbox) work better in the long run (excuse the pun) if you run them gently for the first few hundred miles.

From many years of experience with our Press cars (the ones that are lent to newspapers and magazines) I can tell you that Toyota and Lexus engines are tight when new and loosen off after about 700-800 careful miles. It's an issue for us becasue magazines will do performance tests with new cars, but figures measurably better if the engine has some good miles on it. IS200 particularly noticable.

I'm guessing you asked the question because we don't have the traditional "first service" anymore. That's got more to do with the quality of new oils than anything else. Which is another thing, buy good oil - it saves a lot in the end.

Scott

Yeah they do...but nothing like 10 years back.

Basically don't rev the :censor: off of it for long periods.

Also..it's important not to drive like a saint. Driving like a Saint now, will effect

the top end performance further down the road.

After the first 1000 miles things will be bedded in nicely.

Vipes

just be gentle with it, dont rag it

I asked because I was not sure. I know that many years ago you had to run an engine in for many hundreds of miles and thought that with the changes in technology over the years that maybe we had got to the stage where a cars engine did not require running in.

I take it that when I get my new Corolla T3 I will be given some expert advice on running the engine in. The thing is that I have about an 18 mile motorway trip on the way back from the dealership and don't want to be tutalling (bad spelling) along it at 30 or 40mph, if this is the case then I may take the scenic route down the country lanes which are more suited to those kinds of speeds.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links