Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2001 1.8 Vvti Estate Brake Rewind Tool Help

tyseley1

hi all,i need to change the front pads in my partners car but on taking the brakes to bits i find it has twin pot calipers iftted.in the past i have used a g clamp to push back the piston in my older non-abs fitted cars but for this car and my own car i have brought a rewind tool from eBay but its only for one piston and the adapter plate is too large to fit into the pistons on her car.any ideas would be of help.

are u sure u cant push them back with a bar across both the pots and a g clamp?? I have only worked on one car that had abs myself and it had one pot but thats what i did. Im trying to think if any cars with twin pots came in for brakes when i was at the garage. Other than that have u tried getting a cheap set of rewind tools from ur local motor factors

sorry i cant be of help

coop

just had a thought..... do u mean the circular adapter catches the other pot or do u mean the metal plate with the u shaped slot.

the plate doesnt move it just acts as a brace to push against so i cant see why it would matter unless u cant get the plate in because of it. maybe im just being thick

coop

tool came with one circular adapter which is too big to fit inside piston.pads dont need doing yet as garage said " near wear limit " but still pleanty of pad left for the amount of miles she does in a week also got wrong pads from eBay even though her car is march 2001 the pads i got have a large clip that fits inside the piston on a single piston version so will have to order the other pads soon.

ok i get ya now. u can get whole sets relitivly cheaply (20-30) that should have the right size adapter.

garages always seem to fuss about brake pads for 2 reasons. they genuinly think that the next time they see the car ie a year later u will of one another 10,000 miles and they may well need changing then. the other reason is they r dishonest and its an easy way to tack another hours labour and parts onto the bill thinking people wont check and will panick thinking they wont be able to stop.

coop

Either use your rewind tool across the face of the old pad, or just push them back using a screwdriver or something.

Cheers for the replys,not having done abs brakes before i wasent too sure about just pushing the pistons back in as ive read that they should be rotated in but the general theme from the replys is just to do them as ive done before.thanks coops for the idea about useing a bar across the 2 pistons to push them back in .

hi all,i need to change the front pads in my partners car but on taking the brakes to bits i find it has twin pot calipers iftted.in the past i have used a g clamp to push back the piston in my older non-abs fitted cars but for this car and my own car i have brought a rewind tool from ebay but its only for one piston and the adapter plate is too large to fit into the pistons on her car.any ideas would be of help.

You don't need a rewind tool for the front brakes.

Pete.

Just keep an eye on your fluid level in the master cylinder as you press the pistons back in. My 'helpful' Toyota dealer had topped up my brake fluid even though it was only dropping due to pad wear. Result? Too much fluid in the system when I replaced the pads and an extra task for me to syphon off the excess fluid.

i useally take off fluid cap and pack rags around resorvior to catch any excess fluid and then dip a clean rag into fluid to suck up any that needs to go.

just keep an eye on the lvl as u do each side and if there is any excess use ya wifes turky baster to suck up the excess (i didnt say that )

coop

HI

Did my own pads and disks on my old Avensis 1.8 SR manual back in the day...i'm sure the fronts were push back and the rears rewind...aybe i'm wrong...it was some time back! :flowers:

HI

Did my own pads and disks on my old Avensis 1.8 SR manual back in the day...i'm sure the fronts were push back and the rears rewind...aybe i'm wrong...it was some time back! :flowers:

Correct! ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links