Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Vsc, Limp Home Mode - Help Please

James Hennessy

Hi All,

last night as I pulled onto the M1, I got a beep, the engine fault light came on, my T180 started telling me to check VSC and check Engine and put me into limp home mode. I got home and started checking and found someone had experienced a similar problem and had solved it by cleaning the EGR valve and resetting the ECU by disconnecting the Battery for 60 seconds.

So this morning I've cleaned the EGR, no problem, car started and ran for a minute or two, but error came back up again within 30 seconds.

I then disconnected the Battery, waited, and reconnected it. it sat and thought about things for a minute, reloaded the satnav etc, but won't start. Pressing the start button just gives me a ticking sound (I guess the starter motor).

I'm a bit of a chocolate teapot when it comes to car repairs. I do know I need a new Battery, the terminals on mine are badly corroded, so this might well be a problem with the contacts, but I have power in the car, and I've tried reseating the contacts several times without any joy.

Oh, and to add to my joys, it's now snowing hard here, just the conditions you want for car repair.

Can anyone help with advice?

Hiya,

Any time the check engine light turns on the VSC/TRAC control is disabled and the warning lights come on, the primary concern is the check engine light which is probably emission control related and not a driveability issue.
It needs to be checked with a scantool to retreive the trouble codes, even though there may be trouble codes stored for the ABS/VSC/TRAC ignore them until the engine trouble code is fixed first, after that the other warning lights will turn off after the codes are cleared.

just solved it.

combination of a bad Battery connection (cleaned and redone) and the fact that mr chocolate teapot mechanic here forgot to plug the EGR sensors back in after cleaning the valve.

now running much better and engine warning light has gone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links