Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Size Font On Number Plates?

starletsr

Geez, laws are so tight, had my number done like ages b4 the new law about standard size font on number plates, luckily I didn't get the fine cos i crashed my starlet over a year ago and my front plate had to be changed, so that stayed Big Font so my back ones were in illegal size font, but they didn't notice that. But my mate in the MR2 got fined £30 for having silver letters on his that reflect when you take a photo and my bro in his BMW got fined £30 for small fonts, but passed the MOT, phew they didnt notice mine, so er... iam getting both mine done again at Toyota.

If they catch u second time round, they will take the registration of you and when it comes to sell ur car, it won't be worth a lot... :ffs:

So beware if you have small font plates :eek:

:eek:

I have bike sized plates on the front, but the letters and numbers are correct UK style - nothin fancy. It passed it's MOT last month no problems :unsure:

Best get this checked soon as there seems to be loads of people getting done for plates in the last couple of weeks or so :wacko:

post-15-1082988687.jpg

I just got a jap sized plate - fonts 'iffy' but large and very clear. Plates bigger than a bike one - should be ok I would have thought

i got a £30 fine couple of weeks ago for wrong spacing on the back and the copper opened my door straight onto a barrier so im claiming on their public liability insurance.

hrm people r gettin busted quite a lot from these.

as far as the import / bike style plates go i think its ok if u can't fit normal plates onto your car. however don't quote me on this...

-Z

I just got a jap sized plate - fonts 'iffy' but large and very clear. Plates bigger than a bike one - should be ok I would have thought

actual fact imports get away with different size fonts.. its actually stated on the DVLA website. Smaler fonts are allowed to be used if the plate is square

i cannot rmemeber where on the DVLA page i read it

loads of mumble jumble

I got caught for mine to... it would of been on a year at the japfest... (where i got it from)

:ffs:

DVLA

Click the link for the law on import car plates ..

I've printed the page out and have it in the car for when the cops play silly buggers ..

hrm thats all fine for imports vehicles but what about uk cars w/ bodykits that do'nt have a recess for number plates?

then again u could prolly blag it & say ur '2 was an import doubt they'd know ne better...

-Z

tough sh*t .. you got a UK car .. get a UK plate :lol:

It'll say on your V5 if your car is an import or not .. they'll see it when they give you a producer ..

u seen rule no. 26.

Are stick-on number plates legal?

No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.

damn i was thinking of doing that. stick it on2 my front bumper kinda lke rhaines' old car...

-Z

u 'sposed to carry ur v5 w. u all ALL times?

i never get asked for mine when i got book. heck she didnt even want to see my driving license, well she did, but i told hre i didnt hav it on me...

-Z

naah, ima do the bibbs classic and stick it in the windscreen then say it just fell off...

It's been like that 18 months now :)

I carry all my doc around .. saves going into to local plod station with a producer (I work in Hungerford and the police still ride horses as they don't know what cars are :D )

i usually do, all insurance, mot, v5, driving license paper counterpart (as i've lost photocard). just the time when i needed it i didnt have it.

well actually i id have it once, when i was cautioned for speeding. i did 80. thing was i slowed down then noticed him pulling away so i increased to keep up with the copper, we ehent like this for miles, then he slowed down and i kinda overtook him cos i was in hte outside lane.

about a mile down he pulled me over and made me prod everything. then he asked why did i pull you over? i said, i'm not sure...

he said: do you know about lane discipline... i was like... think fast... erm yeh. i was continually in the oustide lane because my wipers werent working properly and i got a lot of splashback from cars in front, hence i switched to the outside lane where there wasnt ne traffic, did the trick :)

he cautioned me and told me to get my wipers sorted, phew, damn lane discipline!

-Z

tough sh*t .. you got a UK car .. get a UK plate :lol:

It'll say on your V5 if your car is an import or not .. they'll see it when they give you a producer ..

The plates on the rear of my car are standard UK type. It's only the front that is bike sized with UK size fonts, but it's a UK car... does this mean I need to get the front plate changed or face the possibility of getting done?

If so where do UK Mitsi EVO's come into this law? Their front plates are the same - but worse as they are off to one side as are some Alfa's!

Does anyone know of a definative site the stipulates the so-called rules? (Other than the DVLA)

It's only the front that is bike sized with UK size fonts, but it's a UK car... does this mean I need to get the front plate changed or face the possibility of getting done?

As ling as the size, shape and border are the correct size, they are fine ..

and the DVLA IS the law :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links