Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charged Battery Now It Starts But Cut's Out In 1 Sec?

meloned

Hi folks got a 98 avensis 7afe enngine , needed to recharge the Battery because I left the key in the ignition in start position which drained the Battery ,so took it off and charged it now I start it but it cuts out after 1 second Cheers for any help on this matter Meloned.

The ignition switch may have gone faulty, normally I would not recommend this but when you turn the key to start and the car fires up don't let go of the key in the start position keep it turned for 3 or 4 seconds, if the engine then runs for the 3 or 4 seconds then the ignition switch is faulty and this proves my point .... if not it's back to the thinking cap.

Do not run the engine for more than a few seconds using my suggestion as it may damaged the starter motor.

Let us know how you go on.

Pete.

The ignition switch may have gone faulty, normally I would not recommend this but when you turn the key to start and the car fires up don't let go of the key in the start position keep it turned for 3 or 4 seconds, if the engine then runs for the 3 or 4 seconds then the ignition switch is faulty and this proves my point .... if not it's back to the thinking cap.

Do not run the engine for more than a few seconds using my suggestion as it may damaged the starter motor.

Pete.

Hi thanks for your help ! just did what you asked all that happened was it turned the motor over ? So this possibly means ignition switch? so leaving the key in has ruined it ahhhhhhh.

What do you mean you left it in the start position? I is ancillaries/, II is ON/fuel pump, III is Starter, but that has an auto-return to II...!

What do you mean you left it in the start position? I is ancillaries/, II is ON/fuel pump, III is Starter, but that has an auto-return to II...!

I put it on II on/fuel pump to put the clocks forward cheers meloned.

Pete.

Hi thanks for your help ! just did what you asked all that happened was it turned the motor over ? So this possibly means ignition switch? so leaving the key in has ruined it ahhhhhhh.

Can you just make one thing very clear, does the engine actually start and run for 1 second or do you mean the starter motor only turns for 1 second, if it's the starter motor that only turns for 1 second then it's the Battery that gone faulty not the switch which would make more sense, get a jump or tow start to see if that works before you buy any new parts!

Pete.

Pete.

Can you just make one thing very clear, does the engine actually start and run for 1 second or do you mean the starter motor only turns for 1 second, if it's the starter motor that only turns for 1 second then it's the Battery that gone faulty not the switch which would make more sense, get a jump or tow start to see if that works before you buy any new parts!

Pete.

Hi the actual engine runs for a second and cuts out cheers meloned.

Well it sounds to me like the ignition switch which is a common fault on your model, the switch is supplying power to start the engine but when you release the key the power is lost. A new part without the key barrel can be bought and fitted so you keep your original keys for around £40 to £50.00.

If you are not good with car electrics get someone else to check it out and confirm before you start buying parts.

Pete.

• Like 1

Well it sounds to me like the ignition switch which is a common fault on your model, the switch is supplying power to start the engine but when you release the key the power is lost. A new part without the key barrel can be bought and fitted so you keep your original keys for around £40 to £50.00.

If you are not good with car electrics get someone else to check it out and confirm before you start buying parts.

Pete.

Sorted the problem all I had to do sync the key back to the ecu/ immobilizer i e leave the keys in the ignition in the on position for 30 mins :clap: problem sorted simples !! thanks for all your help .

Pete.

Sorted the problem all I had to do sync the key back to the ecu/ immobilizer i e leave the keys in the ignition in the on position for 30 mins :clap: problem sorted simples !! thanks for all your help .

That's great then mate, one for my memory bank then LOL,

Pete.

• Like 1

Pete.

That's great then mate, one for my memmory bank then LOL,

Pete.

Will defo keep but will try and make sure to remove bloomin keys when putting the clocks forward dam you GMT ! :blushing:

ps got the info by phoning a toyota dealer and talking to workshop manager very helpful indeed !

Glad your fault was fixed.

I have read in the manual, that leaving the key in the ignition position for a long period can cause possible damage to the coils, as they are overheating caused by not releasing the charge that is building up. It is seems that the switch may also be damaged this way too. Lucky for you this was not the case.

When I changed the clock in the car last weekend, I had just got back from Sussex so quickly justed the hour before shutting off the engine. It took less than a minute.

I too have learnt something new.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links