Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

White Smoke , T180 D4D 2.2 2008 Model Update

Prawn.ie

I got the car down to Toyota for a diagnostic check . The car came through with flying colours no warning signals .The mechanic said it most have been bad/dirty diesel. Therefor I took the car for a 30 mile run with no problems. Then I went down the road a short drive, I had to accelerate to over take, I then got a puff of white smoke which persisted as i accelerated until I got home a few mile later. But when I pulled over leaving the car engine ticking over there was no smoke at all ???

Still confused

If this is dirty diesel? I intend to let the fuel gage go into the red as much as I can then refill the tank with good diesel. Should I put red x into tank ? Note I did this already when I noticed smoke the first time. Suggestions please .

how's your coolant level?

I would say try BG244 or Archoil rather than Redex.

Thanks Scott

The coolant level is fine , the car is not losing water or oil. It blows off a bit of white smoke now and then. I am thinking along the lines of dirty fuel being used, before I purchased the vehicle, as I only have it a month. It drives great no lose of power , though it takes a while for the choke to cut of from a cold start it sits around 1.1 then settles down to around .9 on the rav counter x1000 .

Any suggestion s appreciated

Many thanks

Thanks Scott

The coolant level is fine , the car is not losing water or oil. It blows off a bit of white smoke now and then. I am thinking along the lines of dirty fuel being used, before I purchased the vehicle, as I only have it a month. It drives great no lose of power , though it takes a while for the choke to cut of from a cold start it sits around 1.1 then settles down to around .9 on the rav counter x1000 .

Any suggestion s appreciated

Many thanks

Mine was the same, except the white smoke, but after i cleaned the EGR valve, starts at 1 and goes down to 9 after a mile or two compared with before where it was starting at 1.1 and going down to 9 only after around 20 miles

it's normal for it to idle at 1100 when cold falling to 8-900 when warmed up & these D4Ds are known to take a long time to reach operating temp. even for a diesel.

Also, running extra electrical load (aircon etc.) may increase the idle speed again normal.

Are you sure that the smoke isn't just normal regen.?

A small amount of white smoke is just condensation from combustion. It takes a while to clear, longer in cold weather, and unless you are giving the car some revs the exhaust simply won't warm up enough to disperse it, hence your puff when you up the revs to overtake.

By the way, it is not necessary to change your driving to warm the exhaust, just accept that a little white smoke appears when the engine is cold.

I use white smoke coming from other vehicles as a warning that the engine is cold so the driver has probably just started their journey so their brain is probably cold also, or they are still getting the right channel on the radio, or juggling a take-away coffee, or reading directions, or moving their bag on the passenger seat, or still on the phone.... You get the picture

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links