Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Playing With The Gear Lever

Opifex

A little off topic, but how do you clear the rear brakes of dust then?

If you brake gently whilst in N on a slope, then all brakes are applied.

Thanks, good to know that when the car's been sat a while!

Great video Timberwolf, very interesting and when I applied the lessons I gained about 5 MPG in my average readings, which takes me over 60 MPG indicated on the HSI. :yes:

Thanks Pete, even though I try to remember it is probably not going to be simple, I'm still amazed at what those with a practical technical aptitude, various types of test tools and inquiring minds can discover about the car.

• 1 month later...

I have cruise control in my Yaris HSD and when going down a regularly used long hill have come to the conclusion that if the cruise is used whilst in D mode by holding down the lever to reduce the speed I get maximum Battery charging effect. If I use B exclusively I can hold at 60 mph but Battery charge rate is about 60% less, The hill is just outside a 30 mph stretch where I use up plenty of electrical stored energy and I can get the Battery almost fully recharged by the bottom of the hill.

What B mode actually does? I remembered seeing a very good explanation somewhere...maybe on this very forum, I found it again and it explains exactly what B mode does, how it does it, why it does it and when to use it.

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/b-mode.html

• Like 1

...whilst in D mode by holding down the lever to reduce the speed I get maximum battery charging effect. If I use B exclusively I can hold at 60 mph but battery charge rate is about 60% less,

Which is what B mode does.

Usually, braking is done with regenerative braking (charging the HV battery) and friction braking.

When in B mode, engine braking is added to the mix so there will be less energy available for regenerative braking.

I think you misunderstood my comments which is my fault having reread what I had written. I meant to say holding down the 'cruise control lever' as this forces full regenerative power to give maximum slowing potential as the computer tries to match the cruise lever request for lower speed. The power needle drops right down to the stop indicating maximum regeneration. Sorry for any confusion.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links