Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Will Not Start After Bump

epcot pete

Hi, I have an 2003 1.8L petrol Avensis with no running problems and very reliable.

I accidently backed into a wall at very low speed - hardly moving. I moved the car forward by 6" and switched off and checked the back with no mark on bumper - as expected due to low speed.

Next day car would not start - it did not sound right when switching key to ignition mode, there seemed no noise from the electrics - relays/motors etc - which you get when first turning the key. Turning the key to start mode, the engine turns over easily but does not fire. I have disconnected the petrol supply pipe joint on side of engine and turned over engine with plenty of petrol coming out. I have taken plugs out and laid them against block and all spark brightly when turning over engine. So it seemes that the petrol injectors are not opening to fire the engine. I have checked all fuses and they seem ok.

Can anyone help me out with this problem or give me some idea where to check next?

Appreciate your time.

Pete

Hi namesake I dont know if this applies to Toyota petrol engines but some makes have a auto fuel supply Cut Off after

an accident. but as you moved the car after hitting the wall i doubt this is the problem unless there was just enough fuel in the lines to do this.

I have an Auris 1.6 petrol and have not noticed any mention of this safety device in my handbook.

Normaly these Cut off can be reset manualy.

was there petrol on the plugs when u took them out?

coop

If you formerly noticed a buzzing noise when switching on the ignition it would probably be the fuel pump. If it's not buzzing now then the fuel won't be up to pressure. However this would contradict your point about lots of petrol coming out the supply pipe.

Hi, thanks for reply's. The fuel pump is working as it pumps fuel out in quantity when fuel pipe join at n/s side of the engine is unclipped, also tank was recently filled. I only moved the car 6" after hitting the wall so fuel in the lines would have been sufficient. The plugs do seem to be slightly wet when taken out, but not flooded with petrol. I cannot find any safety cut-off switch on the car and nothing in the manuals, so still a mystery!

Any more thoughts.

Many Thanks

Pete

i would of thought that if thrre is fuel getting thrugh to the plugs but it wasnt starting then there is somthing wrong between the joint u checked the fuel supply and the injectors. can u trace the pipe work and see at what point the fule stops??? no idea at what point it becomes pressurised so maybe someone else can advise on how to do this safly

coop

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links