Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Decisions And Choices

Overbomber

Howdy, new on here as it seems the place for sound and sage advice........

Seriously thinking of going for a 4.2 Rav4 - probably a diesel as my mileage is beyond sensible petrol usage, say 16 - 20k p.a. I've been away from Japanese vehicles for just over 3 years and entered the world of Volvo....a love/hate relationship to say the least - always had the unholy trinity before this - Mazda/Honda/Toyota in various guises and never thought I'd stray. I've seen the error of my ways.

Anyway I kind of err towards the 4.2 diesel even though it has the cloud of DMF doom hanging over it. Would it be nieve to assume that anything after 2002 would be a safer bet or just accept that it's something waiting to go crunch, especially if the vehicle has a towbar fitted? The single flywheel/clutch conversion kits look ok at about £200/300 and I'm capable of doing the job myself if the time comes. I'm a bit shackled as my Volvo has just been written off and adding a wedge of cash to the settlement is limited hence the realistic option of affording a 2003/4 diesel with about 85/100k on the clock.

Or do I buy a petrol for less and instal an LPG kit (which really appeals) and lose a bit of boot space....?

I know that in the end it's my choice but any pearls of wisdom would be appreciated,

Cheers

Phil ;}

Hi Phil,

Bit of an open question really. All the info is on here, take a step back first though.

I think the best route is decide what you want to spend, sounds like you need a diesel, look at what year you can get, then research whatever model that indicates.

Dave

(Happy 2007 xtr D4D 2.2 owner)

Thanks Dave.

I've been lurking around doing research for a week or so whilst awaiting the insurance cheque so I'm pretty clear on what's good or bad, and the positives of both petrol and diesel models but you're right - the bottom line is how much can I afford and do I want to buy what's on offer....and although buying from a dealer is always going to cost more the assurance of some kind of warranty, which may only be smoke and mirrors, is better than nothing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links