Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Increasing The Rev Limit...

ZeroBlade

this stems from the other thread about max speeds achieved...

basically it's said that the rev cutoff at 7200rpm is the limiting factor on speed. this can be overcome w. an aftermarket chip, hoever its prolly not good for the engine...

so...

what would be the best thing to do to create a high revving monster?

what's the basic stuff that can be done to the 3SG-(T)E to create something like an 11000rpm engine :drool:

i know i could look this up, but im about to go out for the nite, so waiting for some fine reading when i get back in :D

-Z

erm .. forge everything (so it's lighter and stronger) and make the stroke shorter ..

So you have less power due to the shorter stroke, but have an extra few 1000 rmp to make it up ..

not easy then... but good simple answer ben cheers :thumbsup:

high revving engines r cool...

-Z

theres a 2 that was in the sccc (sport compact car challenge) that has something like a 11000 rev limit or 10500... uhh... it has a trueleo sticker on it.. uhh. its red.. mm.. ... not sure iff u guys heard of it... i dont recall what he did to make his rev limit that high :!Removed!:

If I recall they removed the rev limiter from a Mclaron F1 to get it to do 241mph a few years ago.

Uprated internals will do it and as Bibbs says everything will need to be strengthened significantly then the limit will need to be reprogrammed using an aftermarket ECU.

Youd need some work don on your head, Cams lifters etc to cope with the higher revs..... basically youd have to take your engine apart and re-build it using lots of new bits!

rite thats all cool. reason being as im sure u fellas rem i'm staying n/a.

so by the time comes for major engine work i'll be strengthening all the engine internals as it is, so i should be able to do it!!!

i know it would be easier to lump a turbo in there but u guys know what i'm like... not gonna become a turbo junky like the rest of ya, heh :D

-Z

i know its not worth it, lol

but itl be cool, haha

hence i mite actually carry it thru. :)

-Z

One other limiting factors your ignition.....being as though MR2's use an archaic form of ignition (dizzy caps) i dont know if the ignition system would cope well at higher revs, its quite lucky it gets to 7K without going pear shaped.....

(buy a turbo :P )

god damn u all!!!

i spit on ur turbos!!!

:P

-Z

You aint gonna be sittin in mine on Sunday if you do.. :lol::boxing:

what makes you think dizzy caps etc prevent a car from reving high?? extremeboost car is a rev1 it pulls 10,000 rpm does have a motec ECU but it will of course still have a dizzy cap and plugs like the rest of us. Beams engines have the new style ignition packs, but thats relatively new technology.

Why dont you buy a spoon engine..err only £6k odd but revs to 13k+rpm. Be sure you have a mech team handy it need rebuilds every 2-3k miles.

In fact bugger it all...why dont you go all westfield/caterham and lob a Hayabusa engine in or some other bike thingy.

In fact..go buy a bike...

In fact..go buy a bike...

Yeah .. a push bike ..

Or face facts .. it aint going to happen, get a turbo !!

hehe hmm get a beams engine rebuilt for higher rev's...

i cant rem where i read / seen ti but TRD used a high revving engine in the past, granted they'd have spent a fair bit on it...

i know its prolly a good fantasy but i just wanna see if it can actually be done, i've got a fair bit of time to start saving for it...

also if going on this route what would be the best course...

i) strengthen the existing rev1 lump i have, or...

ii) get a beams and modify that?

reason being i think it wouldnt make a diff as they're both gonna be strengthened with the same parts, so sticking with my current lump would be a few grand cheaper (the cost of the beams)

-Z

The only advantage would be the VVTi Beams head (titanium valve springs :)) and all the little R&D in the 15 years on the 3s-ge engine .. (stronger blocks etc ..)

well i was thinking that, but would i not be replacing stuff like that? i guess it would pretty much be a full engine rebuild...

cheers for the input ben :thumbsup:

-Z

Or you could follow my rather mad, and quite possibly stupid idea :)

I would love to put a 13B engine in my Mk1.... rekon it would be awesome

Rotary :) .... mmmmmm turbo ....MMMMMM..... and they rev pretty high.

I was seriously considering an FC for quite sometime, spent a long time researching them, 13b is a pretty strong rotary, needs a rebuild every 120k at the sum of about £2k - £3k

Still, rotary sounds nice :)

bh969: :drool: save me about a grand on rogue's prices...

rite just got the next part of loan thru (1.5G, so...) :D

rite b4 i ring him up can some1 confirm that i wont need owt else for the engine?

86: i was looking at the FC at one point but after getting a 3G+ TPF&T insurance quote i kinda said to myself naaah...

rotory would be nice, but u'll havta maintain it, u wont be able to mess it about like the combustion engines!

-Z

It think the block was changed on the latter revisions .. and this (with the VVTi) would really only be the bits you'd keep ..

I think Skylines have the right idea .. short stroke <fnar>, high revving, individual TB's ..

So you have a wide piston, not moving very far .. instead of a thin piston moving a long distance ..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links