Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

***** While Shifting From 1St To 2Nd Gear

Verso_T-Spirit_Owner

Dear all,

Last year I bought a 62reg diesel Verso (2l manual) with delivery miles on it. But ever since I am having couple of issues with it and would like to get some feedback from the forum members.

On the first day, I noticed a sudden thrust while shifting from 1st gear to the 2nd gear. I initially thought it has to do with a new gearbox/clutch and might take some time to bled it. But unfortunately, it never improved now that I have done more than 4k miles. I have got it checked by 2 different Toyota dealers but they couldn’t find anything wrong. I’ll try to explain the situation when I most probably see this sudden thrust.

When I first start the car in the morning, which means colder engine/gearbox/clutch, and gently shift between 1st and 2nd, I don’t see any thrust. By gently means, I take all the time of the world to shift from 1st to 2nd :). But after the system has warmed up, I start noticing this sudden thrust mostly when I am pulling out of a junction quickly. Basically it is the situation when I have to find a gap and speed up by changing the gears quickly so I don’t slow down the cars coming from behind. “Most of the time” in this situation, I see a sudedn thrust between the first 2 gears. It is alleviated if the exit road is an uphill road. It is fine after 2nd gear. I say “most of time” because, it is not always there. And definitely not when I am test driving it with a Toyota technician:). This has made me so much conscious that as soon as I come to a halt on a traffic lights or a junction/roundabout, I only think about this sudden thrust. The technicians always made me understand that it is the style of my driving, which I contradict as I have had driven other cars, even a bigger van, and never experienced such issues. I even had to get a courtesy car from the dealer which was absolutely fine too. Though the courtesy car was a smaller engine (Aygo) and probably a unleaded car. So I just wanted to gather more information on this and if anybody else has ever experienced such issue. It’ll be great if you can point out what I might be doing wrong. It can help me to convince the dealer that there is definitely something wrong.

The other issue is the MPG. I have never seen my car’s consumption beyond 40mpg. I drive around 9-10 miles each way to work which involves 60% of motorway journey. The rest is coming out of the city and entering into another city. I try to avoid the peak hours. Not only this, I only managed to get ~45mpg on a long motorway journeys. Can you throw some light on this. I always thought that the newer Diesel engines are more fuel efficient but I might be wrong:).

Any feedback/advise will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

PS: I am using this "sudden thrust" word as I am not allowed to write the word j*rk. It is in the title too, but I somehow can't change it.

I think you are feeling the turbo spool up and give you that sudden acceleration. You start to feel the acceleration about 1500 revs, if this is the case, then you do need to ease off the throttle or change up

Yes I think the swear filter has blocked the word j e r k

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply Parts-King. I sometimes get that j e r k even if I am not accelerating that much, like when I stop and start off due to a traffic light. I must add that I sometimes see engine judder if I am unable to shift to the higher gear in a start stop situation.

It sounds like you are feeling a tiny bit of lag (when the turbo hasn't quite spooled up) & you are over-compensating for this by putting your foot down harder. The turbo then kicks in & you take off more quickly than intended because of the extra throttle you demanded. The answer is to adjust your driving a little so you can 'feel' when the boost is about to begin. :)

Thanks Uncle Buck. I'll keep an eye on this and report back.

Regards.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links