Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.0 Vvti Oxygen Sensors And Cat

Normanc Cook

Hi all,

This is my first post on this fantastic forum, so bear with me!!

I recently bought a '04 Avensis Tourer 2.0VVTi and have to say am really impressed with it. Having come from a Mondy TDCI it took a while to get used to the lack of torque...

I have been having issues with P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1) and P0430 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2) fault codes. I had to replace one of the pre-cat lambda sensors as the heater had failed. Ever since, I have been getting the codes mentioned. (I have Torque on my Android phone with a bluetooth OBDII adapter. Awesome bit of kit.)

However, I can drive for hours / hundreds of miles and not get the fault codes. Then on other days, the MIL comes on and sure enough, P0420 and/or P0430. (Basically the same fault for both cats in the exhaust manifold.)

My question: Are the cats likely to be dead or does my car need the software update I have read about that widens the parameters for the post cat sensors? If it is the parameters, can resistors be fitted in line from the sensors to "mechanically" introduce a wider set of parameters?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links