Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

White Smoke

m4c

Hi guys, hoping i can get some advice, i had white smoke coming from my 2.2 09 t4 avensis which has 99k. took it to toyota they said they'd reset it and it stopped for two weeks then came back. went back to toyota they said i need oxygen sensor £284. Had that done still white smoke went back thursday they said they'd cleaned egr valve and injectors. white smoke had gone but there was just a little blue smoke they said which was wear an tear..needless to say the smoke has come back nearly as bad. so i have it going back in on monday..any help/ advise much appreciated.

how much white smoke? when does it happen? hot/cold - first start of the day or after it has been running? how long does it last for?

Alex

Once started and warmed up just a few mins..then its on accelaration mainly but also whilst idle..with the odd break of no smoke

Also a bad smell alex, i would guess more carbon not oil..

Toyota have a TSB "Technical service bulletin" concerning intermittent white smoke from the exhaust

Bulletin ref #

EG-0096T-1011

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may complain that intermittently there is excessive white smoke coming from the exhaust during
accelerations. The problem only exists on vehicles that are equipped with a 08-AD engine with DPF or DPNR.
PRODUCTION CHANGE
The engine ECU software has been changed. No parts replacement is needed, only an engine ECU software update has to be performed.
Ask your dealer to check which software version your car has and update it if required.

Thanks for the reply devon, went out earlier in the car and it seems it's more blue smoke which the dealer said is wear and tear..im only a few 100 mile off 100k and was thinking of extended warranty..thanks for the information.

I have had issues with white smoke on my petrol. I haven't lost any coolant and the car has never overheated. I realised I was loosing a little oil and a compression check showed 1 cylinder was a little low. I guess that's what the dealer may mean when they say wear and tear?

Well i dont understand toyotas general concept of wear an tear!! Or is it you're just unlucky with some avensis cars?..my previous clocked over 230k and the engine was fine when i sold it..this one had about 88k when i took it in..make your own mind up!! anyway they're now telling me (after the fourth time of asking). "It maybe the turbo"!!

If you are not losing oil in any quantity or any coolant then I shouldn't worry too much. Smoke is a natural by product of combustion, much of it is simply condensation. Even if the engine is burning some oil its not a huge drama - they all burn some to varying degrees. You might want to consider an emissions check to find out if your emissions are rising/high. Your last MOT should have a printout of your emission levels. If they are similar then no problem, keep on motoring.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links