Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2 Tr Estate 2007

David ex alfa

Hi people , i am a new owner just purchased and possibly stitched up , after a run noticed oil all down the side of the rad it is coming out of the header tank overflow , the car is running fine apart from this prob , I have returned the car to the car sales and their mechanic has fitted new seals to the oil cooler but this has made the leak worse HELP PLEASE

gratybunch@hotmail.com

David ex alfa

Sounds like the dreaded head gasket issue I'm afraid buddy, what miles and service history is on it?

Oh that's a bummer well its in my local garage for investigation, I gather that this is a common problem is there any claim from Toyota?

car miles 125.500 miles and good history up to 100,000 for service

cheers David

Yea it's well known pal, warranty is 7years/111k from Toyota, unfortunately you are out of that but it's the traders problem to sort it, easiest thing would probably be a new engine block

This sounds like a nightmare!!!!! lets hope its something simple and cheep, other wise its trading standards as (not fit for purpose) money back time ???

I take it the oil from header tank that you describe is obviously mixing with the coolant? Remove the coolant bottle cap and rev the engine hard a few times if coolant foams or flows out of the bottle, the headgasket has gone - it doesnt matter if the engine is cold or warm, if the headgasket has gone it will put air pressure into the system

No it is not mixing with the water its pure oil ? engine is not misfiring and is sweet?

Yes I drove back from west London to Orpington then I checked when cool and it was pure oil not mixed with water, also as far as was informed the dealers mechanic had changed the seals between the rad and oil cooler (well that's what they told me ) it is now worse than before the mechanic tried to repair , by the way many thanks for your feedback at least im conversing with somebody that understands

David

that definately sounds like head gasket, if i were you take id call into toyota, they would prob do a free visual inspection - hope you get sorted buddy, keep me posted

many thanks I await report from garage.

This sounds like a nightmare!!!!! lets hope its something simple and cheep, other wise its trading standards as (not fit for purpose) money back time ???

The Sale Of Goods Act is your friend. But do not delay, you should write a letter to the company that sold the car, post it recorded delivery, and state the problems you are having. If it does come to rejecting the car some time in the future this may help your cause. Time is of the essence, your rights deminish as time goes by. Be firm but polite

Kingo :thumbsup:

Indeed, what kingo said - I honestly would call into Toyota for a free visual inspection, if you do need to reject the car, they can't really argue with what Toyota say

If you have just bought this car from a dealer then the first port of call should be back there for them to inspect and rectify. You should also follow Kingos advice with regard to putting it all in writing. If you let another garage interfere with the car you lessen the chance of being able to reject it if it can't be easily repaired.

Good luck here. Keep it formal (written). Don't get any rectification work done by other garages. Make notes of what the dealer tells you and the date, time etc. If the head gasket is gone then you want your money back and walk away.

Once its sorted, get yourself a good drink and put it behind you.

The car, not the drink.

Good luck.

yes back to the dealers it goes , any advice on a petrol avensis any probs on a 1.8

David

Depends what year and miles? Generally very reliable but they can guzzle oil, if you keep your eye on the oil, they would be one of the most reliable cars on the road IMO!

the oil consumption problem iirc was solved on post 2005 cars.

yes back to the dealers it goes , any advice on a petrol avensis any probs on a 1.8David

Certainly no problems with oil consumption on my 2010 1.8. Ten months since last service and oil level has not changed at all.

Thanks for your reply's, have been to Toyota and confirmed head gasket, now not covered by Toyota.

I have had est from my local garage £1675 all in to replace skim head etc if done how long will it last or will it go again??? its a 2007 2.2 TR 126,000 miles also learnt its been a taxi oh sugar

You are past the mileage limit unfortunately of 111k, I may be wrong but I don't think you can skim the head in these, I would be tempted to find an engine from an 09 model from a scrapyard or just get rid tbh, no doubt that's why the taxi driver traded it

The heads can't be skimmed due to gasket shuffle and carbon stamping! As said...Try and find another engine if you can.

What is the dealer that sold it to you saying? Surely you have been sold a pup and its not fit for purpose? You should be able to get a refund here shouldn't you?

when did you buy this?

If very recently then I too think that you should be able to reject it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links