Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Stereo Troubles

rufnek2kx

I was wondering if anyone could help with some trouble I was having with my Auris stereo. It was working fine during a drive when it suddenly cut out. No power whatsoever to the stereo. Initially I thought it was the fuse, I had a look at the fuse box below the glovebox and couldn't find any saying 'Radio' on the diagram. I pulled out about 60% of them anyway (leaving out doors, ecu and other obvious non-radio ones) and none had blown out. Can anyone tell me which one is related to the stereo? Thought there might be a fuse at the back of the stereo but couldnt see one there either after taking it out. I did notice though that there was a 5p piece in the stereo. unit itself which I have since taken out. My guess is that the 5p piece short circuited the stereo and caused it to fry. If this is the case, is there anyway to reset the stereo or is it gone?

I've bought an universal harness adapter thingymabob from eBay and will try out with another stereo to see whether it is the stereo or the power source that has the issue, but I was just hoping to see if anyone could shed any light on fuses in this scenario. No other electronics ( interior lights, cigarette lighter etc) have stopped working.

Audio system has two fuses: permanent plus one is situated inside the engine compartment fuse panel - fuse no.18 (RAD NO.1), 15 amps and acc plus that is located inside fuse box below the glovebox - fuse no.8 (ACC), 7.5 amps.

Thanks for the above advice.

Hmm. The glove box fuse box diagram on mine shows Fuse No 8 to be "OBD" and it is intact. Checked the ones for "ACC" and they too are intact. Engine bay RAD fuse is also intact. Looks like a bust unit unfortunately, I'm waiting for my harness to arrive which will hopefully confirm the unit being bust rather than any wiring etc.

The 5p is the undoubted cause. If you are lucky it may be nothing more than an internal fuse, but these fuses probably won't look like normal fuses and you would have to search the circuit boards visually for them. If you are unlucky it will be fuses plus associated damage to components.

Do a google image search for N20 circuit protector for an idea of what they look like. Also search wickman fuse.

Edit... I've never seen in the Auris unit but those types of fuses are common for protecting electronic circuitry.

• Like 1

Thanks Mooly. Looking into those fuses now. Confirmed it is definitely the head unit that is messed up, as third party unit is working fine. I've got a genuine toyota head unit coming next week which I'll just use to replace the dud unit, and then if its repairable I'll sort the fuse out and then sell it on. As far as I am aware, there are no security codes on these which makes it a smoother process. My precious Craig David CD is in the dud unit, need to get that back :sneaky2: .

EDIT: Replaced the head unit for the grand sum of £3 :). Old one had to practically be ripped apart to get my CD out of it though, no chance now of replacing the fuse and flogging it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links