Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 Aircon Question

Big Kev

Howdy Wan and Aw,

Out in Funnerburd Too today, the wife's wee 3 door. Switched on the aircon, and knew richt away there was something wrong......it went very cold very quickly, having been sat out in the daft temps we have been having.

Couple of miles later, the normal just cool air was reverted to, then horror.....it reverted to nae cool air at all. The wee amber light on the fascia switch then started to flash. I switched it off, drove a short distance, and it went coldish again.

Sorry if this is covered in the (mislaid....don't ask) owner's manual, but is this just the symptom of needing an aircon service, or does the flashing light mean anything more sinister......? Was it much colder because it does this in the death throes of needing regassed?

Thanks in constipation as usual,

Sweaty Betty Kev

Hi Kev,

Flashing A/C light normally simply means a temporary AC fault, which usually clears itself if the AC is left off for a minute or so. Fault can be triggered by accidentally switching AC on and off rapidly, or if AC is asked to operate with an exceptionally hot engine/cooling system (when it will temporarily back off and then shut down).

Re-gassing is cheap enough (€45 +/- out here), but get it done by a proper workshop (needs gas and AC oil removal and replacement). Don't attempt a DIY "top up", as it doesn't remove old gas or add the correct amount of refrigerant and lubricant.

Chris

Hi Kev,

Sorry to hear about your cooling dilemma,

Sods law it happens when you most need it...

Can you see the air-con pipes in the engine bay ? is there any coloured dye on them ?

If so, then you might have a gas leak... could that be why the air-con light is flashing ? no gas pressure ?

Liz

Hi Kev,

Flashing A/C light normally simply means a temporary AC fault, which usually clears itself if the AC is left off for a minute or so. Fault can be triggered by accidentally switching AC on and off rapidly, or if AC is asked to operate with an exceptionally hot engine/cooling system (when it will temporarily back off and then shut down).

Re-gassing is cheap enough (€45 +/- out here), but get it done by a proper workshop (needs gas and AC oil removal and replacement). Don't attempt a DIY "top up", as it doesn't remove old gas, and add correct amount of refrigerant and lubricant.

Chris

Spooky, Chris......you just described what I did.....started car, pressed aircon button, then noticed I was actually switching it off from a left on position, and immediately pushed button on again........! Doesn't explain why it was extra cold for a short while though....? Will book in for a regas at T anyway.....no record of when last done if at all. Thanks very much.

Liz......will check later and report, thanks.

Big Kev

No sign of any coloured dyes leaking , Liz, which I thought you only get when they introduce it to identify a leak.....?

Disnae matter anywayhowz, as all is well, if not even better than before......took it for another wee run last night, and considering I have been meaning to get it checked for weeks, it is now running cooler than it has been. Whatever wee "cough" I have instigated in the compressor or wherever, it has improved.....and my mother in law's daughter will now switch OFF the aircon a few minutes before she gets home and blow dry the filter (wee tip from ma mate Igor ages ago.....).

Oh look......another flying pig......

Now just need to find the hidden diagnosing camera Chris put in the car......

Thanks as usual,

Kool Kev

Good. Glad the hiccup has passed!

C.

Great news... one kool kev again... :yahoo: :)

If i remember right, they don't use a dye when it is gased from new, but if you have a re-gased they do put the dye in ?

I think it's because they can't re-gas if the system if it is leaking...

I'm sure someone might comment if I'm having a blonde moment... :)

• Like 1

Aw gubber it.....chucked it again......life IS a gas....LOL.

After 9 years and nearly 40k miles.....nae compaints.

and my mother in law's daughter will now switch OFF the aircon a few minutes before she gets home and blow dry the filter

care to explain - I think I can guess but an explanation would be helpful to many, I guess

and my mother in law's daughter will now switch OFF the aircon a few minutes before she gets home and blow dry the filter

care to explain - I think I can guess but an explanation would be helpful to many, I guess

Nah.........

The dye is put in only if a leak is suspected, and not from new.

All fixed by the usual good service Arnie Toyota at Bishopbriggs.......booked in for next day re-gas at £45.00 and much cooler air.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links