Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Pollen Filter For Mk1 Avensis

Konrad C

I had my air-con re-gassed on my Mk1 Avensis, and decided to change the pollen filter. The last time I changed the filter, I tried Euro Car parts but they only stocked the left hand drive version! I had to go to the main dealer and buy originals.

4 years later and the same thing. Euro Car Part are selling the pollen filter for £9.48, Hengst brand, and you guess what? It is left hand drive. I kept the original filters to compare at the counter.

The staff were puzzled and I said I will email the head office later. That is the only model they stock.

The solution I can think of, is to cut the two tabs of the filters and fit them. The difficultly will be pulling them out again. Or, go to Toyota and pay over 3 times the cost.

Luckily for me the filters in my car were in good condition, and a quick going over with the vacuum cleaner made them as good as new.

Has anybody come across this with the Mk1 Avensis. Later Avensis are not effected.

Konrad

• 1 month later...

Yes I have had the same problem with my Mk 1 Avensis and as you say its because the tab is at the wrong end. It only affects the top filter as I managed to get the lower one to fit. Just had to clean out the Toyota original filter and re-fit..

If I do change the filter and can only get the left hand version cheap, I may adapt it by cutting the tab off so that it will fit. I could glue the tab on the other side.

It is no big issue but puzzling that a vendor (outside Toyota) sell only the left hand version.

Konrad

The real issue is why Euro car parts are selling parts for left hand drive models. ! They should give you a refund.

Don't worry. I checked the filters with an old one I had for comparison, so did not buy it.

This also happened a few years ago, and I did get a refund and bought an original Toyota filter, at nearly twice the cost at that time.

The Toyota filter when I examined it was dirty, but I cleaned it. It was as good as new. I kept the very first filter for reference, and the second Toyota filter was a lot cleaner before the clean.

Also the quality of the Toyota filter is very good. I think this filter could last up to 3 times longer than a 3rd party version, but it currently cost more than 3 times the amount.

Konrad

I have to say Euro Car Parts are mainly good for european cars ( not japenese by origin). Try Quali Parts or Nipparts there is one in colliers wood and you can ring them and find out. They store all copy and original japense parts.

Regards,

Waqar

Thanks Waqar.

I will put them in my address book.

Konrad

• 9 months later...

Exactly the same problem. Awaiting email for ECP. I have washed the originals, checked on eBay and can only find left hand drive versions

You could send Parts King a personal message, detailing your car and what you want, to see what price he can do the OE Toyota air conditioning filter for. For Parts King, go to the Community page, scroll down to Sponsor's Corner and Lindop Toyota.

NB - putting a bit more info into your profile would help (eg year of Avensis) as other members may be able to provide links for the correct filter.

Can I add that having seen the Euro Car Parts cabin filter, it is not using the same filter material as the genuine Toyota part.

I paid more but it is in good condition and only a little cleaning is needed once in a while.

Euro Car Part are still only selling left hand drive filters, but once the tabs are cut off they will go in. It is more fiddly removing the upper filter without the tab.

Considering that there are a lot of drivers who are not aware of cabin filters let alone clean or change them, it is not considered that important.

To prove a point I checked my brothers Scenic, it was very dirty with black all sorts on one side and a lot cleaner on the other. We replaced this filter (His car was serviced by Renault who advised the condition of both cabin and air filters but did not change them!).

Also it can effect the the performance of the air-con.

You make your choices.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links