Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso T180 2.2D Turbo Lag Problems

Brownie17366

Hello fellow Toyota People,

I have a problem with my '07 plate Verso T180 whereby the turbo lag has become terrible over recent weeks. It has no power under 2400rpm (which makes taking off on busy roundabouts fun) - but once it hits 2400rpm it takes off like a train! Its done 75K miles.

I've taken the EGR valve off and given it a good clean (it was absolutely clogged solid!), disconnected the Battery in case its the ECU by its still no better. The vacuum system seems to be working okay as the plunger on the dump valve on the turbo seems to go in and out when its rev'ed etc.

I changed the 'life long' fuel filter about a year ago so I think that I can rule out a fuel blockage/reduced flow.

I'm scared to approach Toyota as I have been reading all of the horror stories from fellow owners with this engine but I think that I may have to - gulp!

Any help would be gratefully received and there will be a beer for the correct recommendation :D

please please please help me....

Cheers

Stuart

manifold blocked with carbon? Are you using a low ash engine oil? Are you burning much oil?

Thanks blackcts, It could be the problem as the EGR valve was clogged solid so I would also suspect that it could also migrate to the manifold.

It is burning 'some' oil (from max to min on the dipstick between services) and yes, I have been using the recommended oil.

One point also worth noting, It also does this "white cloud of smoke burn off thing" once in a while - could this be related?

Cheers,

Stuart

If its burning from max to min over 10,000 miles thats prob around 1.5 litres, so thats not too bad tbh..what type of oil are you using? It has to be 5w30 or 0w30 C2 low ash oil - using A1/B1 5w30 (which was recommended at the start) can contribute to carbon clogging.

The white coloud of smoke could be the dpf regenerating, which is normal or it could be head gasket trouble, has the car been using water?

Cheers

I have been using this stuff.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-PTC5L-Pro-Tech-Fully-Synthetic/dp/B003BPP628/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375193725&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=5w30+or+0w30+C2+low+ash+oil it looks as if its low ash etc....

It does use a little water - probably fill mark to min every 10K miles but it does look as if some is being blown out of the overflow as there is a pinkish residue left at the end of the overflow pipe.

I have been using this stuff.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Comma-PTC5L-Pro-Tech-Fully-Synthetic/dp/B003BPP628/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375193725&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=5w30+or+0w30+C2+low+ash+oil it looks as if its low ash etc....

It does use a little water - probably fill mark to min every 10K miles but it does look as if some is being blown out of the overflow as there is a pinkish residue left at the end of the overflow pipe.

That oil is perfect, no problems there - I would reccommend seeking advice from your local toyota dealer, it shouldnt loose water from the overflow pipe.

• 5 months later...

im having the same trouble with my t180rav4 its an 06 with 120k no power till 2400rpm, gave it a good service there today (oil and filter change, diesel filter change, cleaned clogged egr) and it has made no difference, how did you get yours sorted in the end brownie? thanks, adam

The original poster (Brownie17366) only posted 4 times and hasn't been online since 31st July 2013 - so I suspect you won't get a reply.

Hello, I did cure it for a while but recently its returned to being rubbish! To fix it, Like you, I stripped and cleaned the EGR valve, and gave it a full service. I also bought some wynns egr valve/system cleaner and sprayed that through the system but as I did all of the above at the same time, I do not know which one fixed it :-( Im sorry that i can be more help and would be most grateful to hear if you manage to cure yours. Good luck, Stuart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links