Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Knockings+high Temp

happycarrot

hello..just recently picked up a great 2.4 turbo/diesel/auto super custom...great!

went on first long trip and started hearing strange light hollow knocking from the engine..hmm

and on last leg of trip the temperature started to rise and is now running hot the day after..oops

oil was a little low but a i topped up and no change to the temperature, the vans got 140,000 on the clock,could this be a cracked head appearing...if it is does anyone know how much i would be looking at to get it repaired

cheers..

Is the coolant black (exhaust soot getting in coolant)?

Pressure cap off.... - any bubbling/exhaust gas with engine running?

Oil OK? - any coolant contamination?

Is coolant blowing out the expansion bottle overflow when fully hot?

Has the pick up tube come off under the exp' bottle cap?

If no to the above then chances are the head gasket etc. is ok

You could read up the archives at

http://www.eccentrix.com/members/ukspace/wwwboard/index.html

but don't get paranoid!

And there is a supercustom site at

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/HiaceSuperCustomWagons/

Also make sure the pressure cap is good and seating properly.

Are the expansion levels rising when hot and dropping when cold? (as you would expect)

Is the rear heater OK? (air lock)

Maybe the knocking was boiling coolant. I would give the whole system a good thorough flush out and refill 'very slowly' with new anti freeze mix to prevent airlocks.

I'd also check out the viscous fan operation.

If its a new vehicle don't trust the expansion bottle level. Check the level at the pressure cap with a cold engine.

You may have probs, but giving the cooling system a good service 1st may be the best bet initially.

Good luck with the teething probs

:thumbsup: thanks for your help..(",)..rechecked all the levels, slight misinterpretation of water level..doh

drove to work this morning and everything cool, literally; stayed at just below half way on temp guage..brilliant!

slightly concerned at problems i've been reading though ;i got my hiace to drive down to morocco and beyond having been told they're pretty much indestructable, now im concerned it wont make it through france...

does it cost much to get the fan put in the engine to stop the head cracking problem.? and what else do you think i should be wary of on my travels with the van and the journey..any advice greatly appreciated

dont get me wrong i love the van its amazing and i know they're strong (my dad drove a hiace flatbed at work for years with no probs he swears by them)

thanks again..

Hi Carrot

I would heed Chris' advice and make sure it is 100% right. make sure too that there is heat coming out of the heaters, something I missed, and it cost me dear, the rad, get it whipped out and get it pressure tested, then, when you put it back together slap on a kenlowe 16" fan, the fan costs about 130 to 140 depending on source. Or I have seen suggested that that a mondeo fan would work, but you have to make the sensor switch relays to operate the fan, depends on how much electrical work you can do.

I would also consider looking at one of the alarms advertised on Dave Mason's site listed above, if I were doing a journey of that length.

I have just done my first decent journey since my major rebuild and it went like a dream :yes:

Guess you have to weigh up what its worth to you and how much you want to spend.

I'd get the cooling system well sorted with new bits if suspect - make sure anything made of rubber is resonably fresh - anti rolls, belts, deisel and coolant lines etc..... new brake fluid? - check the shoes,pads, brake pistons etc + a standard but thorough service. oil air fuel filters etc.

Wynns do a good injector cleaner called 'Deisel clean up' which you add neat to the new filter.

Its a case of how far (£££s) you want to go really.

Some people with the townaces have put electric fans instead of the viscous fan.

Then again, for the sake of £170 +or- and 10 minutes you could put a new viscous on, which would still be OK after you have passed the van on.

Bear in mind that some key bits will be import specific, so you may not be able to get them as quick as you would like, in say...morroco.

Think a couple of the town ace owners have fitted intercoolers too. One using a computer fan.

Paranoia seems to be part and parcel of owning an import. I've owned vehicles before which are supposed to be prone to this or that problem...but never had a serious problem. Theres good vehicles and bad ones regardless of make and model....hope you chose a good one!

Even if the 2.4 is supposedly prone, how do you know it will happen in your ownership??

Suppose you could take a bottle of 'Cargo Seal Up' with you (around a tenner). Its supposed to be the dogs nuts for head probs.... also if the vans new you will need to monitor oil use etc.

It may be an idea to drain and refill the atm sump every few weeks (2 or 3 times alltogether) - just to get the debris flushed out the torque convertor and atm system. think its 2.5 ltr a time so get the atm fluid from a trade atuo factor.

Guess that really 'going to town on it' will give you a good understanding of its operation should you get any probs. Get the engine manual from the Toyota dealer (around a tenner).

Top vehicles, but nothing is indestructable....all you can do is get it well set up and then forget the notion of probs.....won't be much of a trip if you drive round holding your breath!!

Good Luck with it....

• 3 weeks later...

cheers mate..

just getting the the first big service completed at a toyota garage..just to be on the safe side...all seems well...apart from a broken passanger indicator lens and a broken oil presure switch..gutted

but found out what the nocking was from under the cab, it was the rear bushes they needed replacing.

got the coolant flushed and changed and will be getting some of that 'Cargo Seal Up' just in case..cheers for that.

looking froward to the trip..if i can get hold of a lens for the indicator (you dont know anyone) and a map of where were going...

cheers again..

Hi, I was just reading your discussion and it seems I may have a similar problem myself on an older van. I've just bought a 1993 Toyota Hiace 2.0 for work and it seemed a great van. I've had it a week and it was driving like a dream, however, today the radiator warning light came on and I've seen a bit of water coming out of the exhaust in the last couple of days. I checked the levels and they were a bit low in the expansion bottle so I've topped up with coolant and have my fingers crossed that it's not a problem with the head gasket already!! The temperature has been normal and no sign of an increase in pressure in the radiator. It's just this water and steam coming out of the exhaust pipe. Do you think I may have a problem.

Also I've noticed that if I accelerate going up hill or from a hill start, I get this knocking noise coming from under the van at the rear...could this be the rear 'bushes' you had replaced. If so, how much were they and also, any idea how much a new head gasket would cost?

Thanks for any advice

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

well you've got a problem ..and sorry but i dont know what could be the cause of that one....

but i can tell you im paying £160 for rear bushes and struts to be fitted at a toyota garage bit much i think..

but when they went though i was hearing a kind of heavy rocking noise really, not a banging. does the banging get faster when you go faster ?

new head ...... expensive. i think someone here spent about a grand getting it sorted..ouch

• 3 weeks later...

I have a J reg Estima and get an intermittent knocking sound from the rear.

In my case I _think_ it's something to do with the exhaust mounting not keeping the pipe clear of obstructions when the van is heavily laden/going round roundabouts/up steep hills etc.

I had a previous similar problem which turned out to be caused by a sheared-off rear shock absorber....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links