Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Toyota Lucida Estima Owner Requiring Help Please!

Shonamay

Hi everyone,

I bought a Toyota Lucida Estima 93, 2.2 Diesel automatic a few weeks ago and it overheated and broke down 4 days after I bought it from the private seller :,,,,,,,(

I know these are notorious for the head gaskets to go but this had a new waterpump, radiator and had been regularly serviced and flushed recently so I foolishly thought it would be ok....

We have 4 kids but all I could afford after the toyota breaking down in an old small car which we dont all fit in.

I have listed the toyota on eBay but I`m still so sad about it dieing that I`m wondering wether to try k -seal (but then I would be too scared to drive a long distance after we waited 4 hours for the rac when it did break down) and saving to have the gasket replaced.

I`m assuming it IS the head gasket after my Dad told me the water tank is pressurising and the engine overheats after driving for over half an hour so it does start and drive fine!

What should I do? I love the car and it`ll take me longer to save for another 7 seater than it will to fix the head BUT I dont want to spend four figures on it if something else goes shortly after!

Any advice appreciated, we`re based in Hampshire.

Thanks!!!

• 1 month later...

hi i,ve had 3 4x4 estimas, on 1 the rad leaked and i thought i,d caught it before any damage was done.i changed the rad for a 2nd hand 1, flushed it and for several months all was well, then it overheated when putting my foot down or motorway driving. i had done the cambelt water pump ect just after the rad. but at this later date. it kept pressurising. i sold it as spares and kept in touch with the buyer. he changed the rad and all was well. so the 2nd hand rad was not as clear as i thought. the moral is make sure the rad is clear. or get a new 1.. i,ve now got a liteace noah 4x4 field tourer. but still have lots of estima spares if any 1,s interested. south wales... oh and check/replace the thermostat as well.

Hi Shona,

I came across your post by chance, hope this reply is not too late for you.

I bought from a dealer, a 1993 similar van, and after some successful long runs it suddenly started overheating, with radiator steaming.

When cooled off, it started and went well until say a steep hill caused the same symptoms.

I was worried, like you, about possible head gasket or water pump costly problems.

Although, there didn't seem to be any bubbles in the top-up tank when starting from cold, which I understand is a sign of gasket or head failure.However, having read and digested many posts herein about overheating generally, I began to suspect that there might be an air bubble in the cooling system, one of the symptoms being a cold cabin heater.

It apparently is very difficult to eliminate trapped air in these van systems, but following all the advice herein, I finally got it out after nearly an hour of bleeding, with the front of the van propped up high, the cab heater full on, and a feeding bottle held high over the top-up tank.

Since then,(fingers crossed !) all is continuing fine, with good heat from the cab heater.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links