Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic 1.8 (New Shape Tourer)

Valvematic

There are numerous posts on here over the past year or so regarding the 1.8 Auto Tourer. Try a search.

There is very little difference between the models from 2009 to now, the latest model was effectively a cosmetic facelift with a few upgrades such as the satnav unit.

I find the Tourer a very comfortable quiet ride, tyre noise is the loudest thing you hear and that definitely varies between the brand of tyres fitted. The interior is spacious and uncluttered. Having had conventional torque convertor autos for years I was initially a little worried about the CVT but having done lots of research could find no reported problems with the Toyota system, unlike the VW DSG system. The box is smooth and easy to operate, you have the choice of just using it in automatic mode or manual mode using the paddle shifts on the steering column, there is also a sport mode for quick getaways or overtaking. It's not a boy racers car, and never claims to be, but there is plenty of power for normal everyday driving, it's far from sluggish. Being mistrustful of gauges I regularly do fuel consumption tests using the brim to brim method. My motoring consists of general pottering around country roads, some town driving and regular long motorway journeys. The motorway journeys are, where circumstances allow, generally covered at 75 to 80 mph. My MPG returns are a constant 38mpg. I suspect if my driving style was a little more conservative it could easily get close to the manufacturers figure of 42. A recent long motorway journey in France, where I do keep within their speed limits, gave a return of 40mpg with the car being about 70% laden.

Overall I am very happy with the car and the service I have recieved for the dealers. Servicing costs are reasonable and with a five year extendable warranty it gives piece of mind and worry free motoring. When the time comes I will definitely consider replacing it with a later model. My only gripe is the electronic parking brake, there is no hill start assist or auto release on the CVT but having said that I have not found it to be a problem. It would seem that more manufacturers are fitting the electronic parking brake now so the choice of getting one without it is diminishing.

I came from a 2.4 Honda Accord to the Avensis and was pleasantly surprised. Would highly recommend you do some test drives.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links