Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Modified 1Ad Engine

Deakin

Hi all can anyone give me some information on the 2009 new shape avensis with the 1AD modified engine block has this curred the head gasked problem?, i am about to change cars and have had the head gasket problem with the 07 facelift avensis and was thinking of buying the new skoda superb 1.9.diesel, i am a taxi driver and i need a relible car but i have had about 6 toyota,s and just keep thinking to myself am i doing the right thing with the skoda i know the avensis have had their fare share of problems mainly the head gasket one but if i thought they had this sorted i would stay with the avensis.Thanks for any replys.

According to the technical bulletin that we have a copy of (but that we know has been superceded) the hg problem can affect Avensis built up until the end of February 2009 - this is about the first 6 months of T27 production. There have been a few 09 hgs on here but there certainly doesn't seem to be the nos. of hg problems with T27s as with T25s (of course fewer of them will have done the mileage yet where it may start to show).

If you can afford it I would look at the facelift T27 (from ~11/11) as they made quite a few improvements to the car overall (incl significant fuel economy savings on the 2.0 D4D).

Of course the current D4Ds all have a DPF.

If you are just working around town the petrol 1.8 isn't that far behind for fuel economy & has no DPF, no turbo, no intercooler & the injectors don't run at the pressure of a common rail diesel so don't wear the same. Cheaper to buy too.

Thanks for the reply Heidfirst but im afreaid the 11/11 would be a bit on the pricey side for me,as for the petrol 1.8 is sounds great but have you noticed they dont make a hatchback for some reason,so i would need the tourer which would be harder on the fue.Thanksl

facelift 1.8TR saloons are available for under £10k with fairly low mileage.

The facelift 2.0D is supposed to be over 15% more fuel efficient than the original T27 2.0 D4D & lower RFL too.

The saloon/tourer thing holds true for both petrol & diesel but there isn't a big difference in fuel economy between different body styles with the same engine. According to the combined figures it's 0.7mpg worse for the 1.8 Tourer & (oddly) between 1.4 & 0mpg worse for the 2.0 D4D Tourer,

Thanks again Heidfirst you certainly know your figures i would have thought the petrol tourer would have been quite a bit harder on the fuel,i would seriously consider the petrol tourer if this was the case and these dont have the head gasket problems either.

I possibly might be in the market for a (facelift) 1.8TR Tourer myself hence why I know about current pricing. It's easy to find the mpg figures these days with the internet.

My reasoning for going 1.8 petrol is that I won't be doing the mileage for the difference in fuel & RFL costs to significantly beat the increased purchase cost of a diesel & I hope to keep the car longer by avoiding turbos, DPFs etc. thereby the significant maintenance costs that a common rail turbo diesel can face at higher mileage.

Your situation is obviously different & your calculations may result in a different outcome.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links