Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smelly Aircon

toy12

Hi

Had Mr T check my aircon last month as it smelled a bit, they put the usual bomb in the car and all was well until the next day.Problem always occurs when switching from recirc or turning aircon off or on. Anyway 3 bombs later (over the next 3 weeks no cost to me) and now they say they can't cure it without stripping everything out at my expense. Read previous posts but does anyone have any clue as to how to cure this at reasonable cost? Car is 2.0 4d T4 Tourer 2009 at 30566 mls. Thanks for reading.

Have you tried changing the pollen filter? I use a forte spray down my air vents that works a treat!🚗💨👀😀

Have they changed the pollen filter?

what type of smell is it? does it goe once the aircon has been on for a minute or so?

There is a slight change in smell when switching as one is filtered air which takes the moisture out and the other is normal

Alex

Take out the pollen filter,get hold of Dettol spray disinfectant,other disinfectants are available turn on recirc button with fan on highest setting and spray into air intake,the smell is caused by condensation becoming mouldy mostly by not using the aircon on warm every now and again...hope this helps you.

Come to think of it,not sure if the recirc needs to be on ,on these cars try it.

As a matter of course try to get in the habit of turning t off the aircon a few miles before you finish your journey as this helps to dry the Air Con Evaporator out a little.

Hi Alex

I took the car back to them today as we were driving past, after a very heated conversation they took the car in and allowed me the use of a loan while they took another look. when i picked the car up we noticed it now smelled pleasantly of chewing gum so to give them fair dues they may have cured it this time. I will give it a week or so to see how it performs and leave it on auto. Thanks to all replies

Hi Alex

I took the car back to them today as we were driving past, after a very heated conversation they took the car in and allowed me the use of a loan while they took another look. when i picked the car up we noticed it now smelled pleasantly of chewing gum so to give them fair dues they may have cured it this time. I will give it a week or so to see how it performs and leave it on auto. Thanks to all replies

Sounds to me like they have used this stuff on it...http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/product_p/bubbgm.htm... and sprayed your interior unfortunately this wont cure it per say and it may return at a latter time.

Ok so to be fair to Toyota they have had a good go at this and whilst the problem smell may come back they have done their bit by attempting to fix it within the fee you initially paid.

It is probably worth your while to replace the pollen filter and, while you are at it give the pipework a good clean either with a Dettol type product or an air con specific one. Maybe use a spray into the pipes one a few times over a couple of weeks and follow up with a bomb to finish it off.

I got 2 cans of the 'into the vents' stuff from Euro car parts for £3.40 ish each earlier - a click and collect deal. Haven't used it yet mind.....

At the risk of sounding controversial Druid Boy i think that they have dodged the issue somewhat as in there attempt to mask the offending smell by using the Chemical Guys spray,which in reality will only last days depending on how frequently the air con is used..sorry.

Yeah maybe, but faced with an unhappy customer they have tried to resolve the issue without costing him more money.

As far as I can see they have conducted the standard procedure for smelly air con some 4 times now and tried another product as well, all for the original air con bomb fee. I don't see what else you can expect them to do for free. If they need to spend more time on trying to resolve it then they will need paying.

I don't see how the fact that it is going to take more time and money to resolve is their fault or failing. They certainly haven't dodged the issue: they were up front and stated that, if it is to be resolved it will cost more money.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links