Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

?using 2 Stroke Oil As An Additive...

Exvec

I am also a member of other car forums,and one in particular swear by adding 2 stroke oil has its benefits as in reduced engine clatter,better economy,diesel pump lubrication,and engine longevity.What i do know is that fuel retailers more or less removed sulphur from fuel back in 06,and because of this action it has lead to premature fuel pump failure as sulphur acts as a lubricant .

I myself used to run a Vecta c 2.0dti 03 plate and i did in fact add the 2 stroke oil to that,and it did most of the things i have mentioned and moreover the car used to sound like a petrol car,and it ran a lot smoother with better economy,or maybe it was the placebo effect i don't know ..anyway

So ?anyone advocate its usage on here,?have you tried it or would you leave well alone ..

Interesting .......But I don't think that Toyota sell two stroke cars as they would not meet the current emmisions regulations!

Yeah, this makes the rounds every now and then. Another one is acetone, which supposedly makes the fuel burn easier!

A handful of people swear by it but most of us are skeptical and not willing to risk nuking our super reliable D4Ds by trying it out!

There are also other things like the BG??? additives which a few guys here rave about, and there's always classic stuff like Winns and Redex :)

Modern diesel fuel pumps are designed with the lower lubricity of ULSD in mind, but the loss of sulphur was offset by other lubricating additives (Partly why people say to stay away from supermarket fuel!). These days the most common trick is adding biodiesel, which has a much stronger lubricating effect than sulphur and still provides useful energy. It also satisfies the 5% legal renewable fuel requirement. All very neat and tidy!

Interesting .......But I don't think that Toyota sell two stroke cars as they would not meet the current emmisions regulations!

Perhaps you misunderstand the debate RY54, i am talking about adding 2 stroke oil to the diesel tank here.as in an additive like BG244 or Redex..

Yeah, this makes the rounds every now and then. Another one is acetone, which supposedly makes the fuel burn easier!

A handful of people swear by it but most of us are skeptical and not willing to risk nuking our super reliable D4Ds by trying it out!

There are also other things like the BG??? additives which a few guys here rave about, and there's always classic stuff like Winns and Redex :)

Modern diesel fuel pumps are designed with the lower lubricity of ULSD in mind, but the loss of sulphur was offset by other lubricating additives (Partly why people say to stay away from supermarket fuel!). These days the most common trick is adding biodiesel, which has a much stronger lubricating effect than sulphur and still provides useful energy. It also satisfies the 5% legal renewable fuel requirement. All very neat and tidy!

Yep Cyker agreed as to adding biodiesel to diesel it self ,which i'm lead to believe is somewhere in the region of 7 or 8 %,,but its not only the fuel pump which is at stake here ,there is also the question regarding the injectors which get clogged up due to bio diesel additives,adding 2 stroke oil is supposed to counteract this phenomenon.

Well, injector clog is usually solved by an 'italian tuneup' or using something like V-Power diesel and it's insane amount of detergents, or whichever BG??? it was that did a similar effect. Plus the normal Winns/Redex injector cleaners! :lol:

TBH we don't usually get enough long-term reports back of how people get on. Certainly in the short term, things like 2-stroke oil and acetone seem to have some sort of effect according to those who say they've tried it.

We've had people here use 100% biodiesel regularly despite dire warnings from Toyota that it'd blow the engine up, and aside from a slightly worse mpg and many fuel filter changes, haven't heard anything back about exploded engines! :lol:

Perhaps you misunderstand the debate RY54, i am talking about adding 2 stroke oil to the diesel tank here.as in an additive like BG244 or Redex..

I can assure you that I misunderstood nothing.

I would suggest that in the UK there is absolutely no need for any additions to the fuels supplied by the filling stations.....particularly the addition of two stroke oil!

Such use could cause damage to the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) fitted to many Toyota diesels

UK diesel fuel is supplied with enough additives to provide fuel pumps with adequate lubrication.....use of two stroke oil could play havoc with emmisions and is totally unnecessary

I would suggest that in the UK there is absolutely no need for any additions to the fuels supplied by the filling stations.....particularly the addition of two stroke oil!

Such use could cause damage to the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) fitted to many Toyota diesels

UK diesel fuel is supplied with enough additives to provide fuel pumps with adequate lubrication.....use of two stroke oil could play havoc with emmisions and is totally unnecessary

It is common knowledge that some supermarket fuels, not all of them are not quite up to the job coming from the point of view that the additives are not added in the quantities they perhaps should be.

Can't see any damage to the DPF happening as adding 2 oil stroke reduces the soot and ash content of the fuel used thus leading to lower particle formation.

Remember all you are doing basically is adding oil albeit with a lower viscosity to oil which is in the tank already.

People that have used it in other cars are not reporting DPF damage over and above which happens anyway.

Mods ??where has my Forum Contribution Star gone...please

This subject has been talked about a lot in the past. If I remember it was daveyonthemove who posted about using the low ash 2T oil in his T180. It had to be the mineral one and not the semi or synth version of the 2T oil. I tried it out in my T180. 2T oil burns cleaner than derv! And lubes the pump.

I would prefer to use V-Power and BG244 or Archoil products. But that's just me...🚗💨👀😀

Thank you mod whoever you may be for reinstating my star/stars,my faith in humanity has been restored :thumbsup:

A recent reply published by the Institute of Advanced Motorists Tech dept stated that supermarket fuel, main brand fuel and all the other fuels are pretty much all the same and there is no need to avoid any of it. There used to be a difference but in response to loss of reputation it is now difficult/impossible to buy bad fuel (legally at least). The guy who asked the question was driving a tuned engine and had been told by the dealer that he would invalidate his warranty if he used supermarket fuel. How they would ever know is a mystery.

Yup, it's good that we have standards that are actually being enforced now :lol:

That said, with my engine at least, you can hear and feel differences between different sources of fuel.

For instance, Sainsburys seems to give me the best city MPG and torque but is smokey as heck under load and seems to struggle at higher RPMs.

Shell and Morrisons diesel feels smoother and burn a bit cleaner but retain the higher MPGs. They seem to have slightly less 'pull' at low RPM than Sainsburys tho'.

The one time I used Esso diesel it made my car sound like a tractor; Engine really doesn't seem to like it as it was noticeably more sluggish and underpowered. May have been a bad batch but never went there again!

Put in some fuel from the Murco near the A5/M1 once; Felt similar to Sainsburys. You never know where those places get their diesel from tho' so hard to make a real judgement!

Shell V-Power is interesting; Burns virtually clean (I can floor it and get near no visible smoke!) and engine vibration is lessened - Engine feels veeery smooth :)

Before they changed it, it had a noticeable loss in low RPM torque but pulled noticeably harder at higher RPMsnd the engine response was a tiny bit faster. Since they added the 'Nitro+' moniker and increased the detergent ratio, the overall pull has decreased at both low and high RPM and, despite it still burning clean and running smooth, it's kinda lost what appeal it had before :(

• Like 1

I am also a member of other car forums,and one in particular swear by adding 2 stroke oil has its benefits as in reduced engine clatter,better economy,diesel pump lubrication,and engine longevity.What i do know is that fuel retailers more or less removed sulphur from fuel back in 06,and because of this action it has lead to premature fuel pump failure as sulphur acts as a lubricant .

I myself used to run a Vecta c 2.0dti 03 plate and i did in fact add the 2 stroke oil to that,and it did most of the things i have mentioned and moreover the car used to sound like a petrol car,and it ran a lot smoother with better economy,or maybe it was the placebo effect i don't know ..anyway

So ?anyone advocate its usage on here,?have you tried it or would you leave well alone ..

Hi Exvec, You may, or may not ,have read this http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?vote=viewresult&printertopic=1 it's on the freelander forum, and it's absolutely a great read for all who are interested, myself included.

I started useing 2t oil about 2years ago now, and I now religously pour 300mm of 2t in my tank, then fill up, (avensis 2.0 d4d 07).

the car runs like a, dream, smoother, hardly any diesel clatter, and slightly improved mpg.

we've just done a long trip down to Almeria, then down to Gibraltar, (disel£1.06p) and then back up to calais on the western route. most of the time doing about 80mph. I took 2litres of 2t with me.

It's entirely up to you, but I would be without it now. Cheers.

• Like 1

2T oil does NOT damage the DPF, it helps the fuel burn more completely, and therefore less soot, which means longer periods between regen of the dpf, anyway Exvec's car does not have a dpf.

Hi Exvec, You may, or may not ,have read this http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html?vote=viewresult&printertopic=1 it's on the freelander forum, and it's absolutely a great read for all who are interested, myself included.

I started useing 2t oil about 2years ago now, and I now religously pour 300mm of 2t in my tank, then fill up, (avensis 2.0 d4d 07).

the car runs like a, dream, smoother, hardly any diesel clatter, and slightly improved mpg.

we've just done a long trip down to Almeria, then down to Gibraltar, (disel£1.06p) and then back up to calais on the western route. most of the time doing about 80mph. I took 2litres of 2t with me.

2T oil does NOT damage the DPF, it helps the fuel burn more completely, and therefore less soot, which means longer periods between regen of the dpf, anyway Exvec's car does not have a dp

Thanks for replies...@ calamara..Thanks for the link...i did actually use 2 stroke oil in my old Vectra c 2.0dti and i also found that it ran more quieter,with a bit more power and a slight increase in MPG and i had the car for 3 years without any issues,your post goes a long way to reassuring me that it is OK to use in the 2.0 d4d albeit that the engines in these are very different ......??What make of 2 stroke oil do you use and is it low ash ..also what mileage has your car done please.

2T oil does NOT damage the DPF, it helps the fuel burn more completely, and therefore less soot, which means longer periods between regen of the dpf, anyway Exvec's car does not have a dp

Thanks for replies...@ calamara..Thanks for the link...i did actually use 2 stroke oil in my old Vectra c 2.0dti and i also found that it ran more quieter,with a bit more power and a slight increase in MPG and i had the car for 3 years without any issues,your post goes a long way to reassuring me that it is OK to use in the 2.0 d4d albeit that the engines in these are very different ......??What make of 2 stroke oil do you use and is it low ash ..also what mileage has your car done please.

Hi Exvec, I use Rock oil 2t, it's called groundsman, semi synthetic, not low ash,...that's for dpf engines, have a look on their website, its in the agricultural section. my car has done 53k now.

I use rock oil because their place is local to me, you may be able to get it near you? when you have spare time, read that link, it tells you all you need to need to know about different grades etc. cheers.

• Like 1

It always concerns me about upper cylinder lubrication as much as pumps and injectors. Years ago we used to put Redex upper cylinder lubricant in our petrol/diesel (1 shot per gallon on the forecourt) Redex UCL is not available now, so what lubricant is in modern fuels that can lubricate the top end? I use Lucas which is an UCL and injector cleaner for petrol or diesel.

It always concerns me about upper cylinder lubrication as much as pumps and injectors. Years ago we used to put Redex upper cylinder lubricant in our petrol/diesel (1 shot per gallon on the forecourt) Redex UCL is not available now, so what lubricant is in modern fuels that can lubricate the top end? I use Lucas which is an UCL and injector cleaner for petrol or diesel.

Answer to this..probably nothing..but the manufacturers will tell you it doesn't need anything...well they would say that wouldn't they.

If the manufacturers say that, we ask; why is it the top end of the cylinder that always wears?

Probably because the force of compression and combustion is greatest when the piston is at the top of its stroke?

• 2 weeks later...

Well after 2 weeks of using 2 stroke in my car i can say with all honesty that the car is performing very well indeed,it is quieter,slightly more responsive,and is using a bit less fuel so i intend to carry on using it at a ratio of 200.1 which is just under 300 ml per 60 ltr tank full of diesel..remarks welcome.

Well after 2 weeks of using 2 stroke in my car i can say with all honesty that the car is performing very well indeed,it is quieter,slightly more responsive,and is using a bit less fuel so i intend to carry on using it at a ratio of 200.1 which is just under 300 ml per 60 ltr tank full of diesel..remarks welcome.

Hi Exvec, Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and that is good,...I myself started useing it after reading the freelander link I posted, and I think Iv'e done about 18,000 miles ish, since, and the engine is a great, hardly any diesel clatter etc.

Cheers.

This is a very intresting topic as my son has just purchased a Corolla with the 1cd-ftv engine and will most definitely be using some two stroke with his fill ups. A work colleague of mine has a Octtivia for 6 years and has 260 thousand on the clock he puts two stroke in with every fill.

I use Shell regular diesel, clean the egr valve every 12 months, and 300ml of semi syn 2t oil every fill up, result...the car runs like a rolls royce.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links