Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing Alarm Unit By Front Bumper

Mervyn4u

Hi All

how does one get to the siren unit on a avensis r reg 1998.. there seems just not enough room to get to the unit from underneath, i have heard about taking the bumper off or partially off and getting to it through the headlamp hole.....how does on loosen the bunper, ???

also am i rght that the central locking will still work if the siren unit is removed , at the moment it goes off when the car is locked..

Many thanks

Merv

The right hand wheel liner has to be undone, then you may see more bolts.

The alarm siren is just in front of the windscreen wash bottle.

You may not need to remove the headlamp. Undo the under tray bolts below the bumper. You might not need to remove the bumper, but reach up to disconnect the siren.

The central locking should still work.

There must be a voltage drop being caused by a short circuit, making the alarm go off. A low Battery voltage will also trigger the alarm.

The other reason is the alarm itself is faulty.

Even when the siren is disconnected the lights will still flash.

But at least you have silence.

The right hand wheel liner has to be undone, then you may see more bolts.

The alarm siren is just in front of the windscreen wash bottle.

You may not need to remove the headlamp. Undo the under tray bolts below the bumper. You might not need to remove the bumper, but reach up to disconnect the siren.

The central locking should still work.

There must be a voltage drop being caused by a short circuit, making the alarm go off. A low battery voltage will also trigger the alarm.

The other reason is the alarm itself is faulty.

Even when the siren is disconnected the lights will still flash.

But at least you have silence.

is there any way of disabling it from flashing the lights as well as surely the Battery will eventually go flat... .. what i am after is remote locking working but alarm totally out of circuit

btw many thaks for helping me yet again

Merv

Just to add:

Another possible reason for triggering the alarm is crawling/flying insect inside. I sprayed inside with fly killer and sorted similar problem, in spite not sure if this was the cause...

After triggering alarm sounds less then minute, so flashing lights wouldn't flat the Battery. If alarm sounds constantly it is faulty.

BTW you mention just siren. When my alarm goes off siren and horn sound simultaneously ...

• Like 1

Just to add:

Another possible reason for triggering the alarm is crawling/flying insect inside. I sprayed inside with fly killer and sorted similar problem, in spite not sure if this was the cause...

After triggering alarm sounds less then minute, so flashing lights wouldn't flat the battery. If alarm sounds constantly it is faulty.

BTW you mention just siren. When my alarm goes off siren and horn sound simultaneously ...

I agree because when I was in Swanage and Poole one day during the summer, my alarm kept going off. Never found the problem, but suspected an insect. The next day and up to now, the alarm has been as good as gold.

Mk1 Avensis only sound the siren only. No horns.

It seems that Mk2 Avensis has a lot of changes from the Mk1.

Make sure that you have not got a dangerous bug like the false widow spider or the poisonous ladybird reported in my local news shopper paper. :dontgetit:

so as only the siren goes offf its a mk1.. am i right in thinking then the lights will only flash for a certain time and then stop....(having not studied it too much in a panic to stop the alsrms going off in early morning...

Correct. The alarm only goes off for a short period. The problem is that it is going off repeatedly.

During the winter of 2011, my car alarm kept going off at nearly midnight, so I went to check on it.

I got in the car and tried to start the car, only to find that the Battery was low! I got the car started and drove it for a bit (the car had not been used for a few days). The next morning I topped up the Battery with distilled water, as the cells looked low. When I came home from work that evening the car started first time. So I fixed that problem and the Battery is still in the car.

That is why i say that the alarm is triggered if the battery voltage is below a certain level. The other thing is to make sure something is not taking voltage or tripping the alarm, like a short circuit.

Since I replaced a faulty interior dome light which eventually kept blowing the dome fuse, everything has been fine. I got a second hand one from eBay and it came from a later model Avensis. The electrical tracks are better and routed differently from my original dome light. Once fitted it looks the same.

I just gave possible scenarios which I have experienced.

I have looked but cannot confirm if you can disable the alarm from the central locking or the hazard lights. You may need to experiment with trying to locate and disconnect the alarm brain. This is located on the passenger side, behind the glovebox.

I think it is difficult since the system is interlinked and integrated with other circuits.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links