Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis Loosing Power

mokhali

hi guys, I have a Toyota Avensis 2002 d4d. has done 122k miles been serviced regularly.

from last few days it seems there is no boost from turbo when the turbo kicks in at around 2k rpm, but then power comes on itself and goes again. on motorways there is jerking when pushing the throttle feels like power coming and going. I started noticing the power loss about 2 weeks ago in mornings when the engine hasn't warmed up properly but it didn't last long and within quarter mile or so it will feel normal.

but from last 2 days I have been doing some motorway journeys and noticed when I pushed throttle to over take it didn't accelerate but after a few second it accelerated like normal. and the problem seems to deteriorate and now most of the times there is no power but then every now and then through gears power comes back in. also the EML (engine management light) comes on and goes away after I restart the car.

for some reason I think it is the turbo but I would really appreciate if some one can tell me what other signs I should be looking for and could it be something else.

I am not an expert on diesels, but my guess is the EGR.

Read the sticky at the top of the Avensis posts.

Konrad

The first thing to look at would be the EGR valve and check if it needs cleaning.

Once thats cleaned, take it for a drive again and see how it feels.

Yes i thought about the egr but it was taken out and cleaned at last service about 6k miles. Although i traveled from birmingham to bradford th e next day and there was no problem at all. It drove well and no power lose at all.

Change the fuel filter (just change it regardless of when it was last changed)

Check EGR

Check MAF

Check SCV valves

Kingo :thumbsup:

had a similar problem with mine, change fuel filters and try to see them change them, some don,t always do what they say, but still charge.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links