Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis Po420 Cat Efficency Below Threshold B1

Ballincollig

Avensis 1.6 VVTI with 156000 KMS on the Clock.

Toyota Avensis PO420 CAT efficency below threshold B1. This apparently means that the CAT is working at less than 95%.

Has anyone a fix for this problem without changing the CAT. I can reset / clear the code but it returns after 30kms. No other codes are stored or present. The Car is driving fine.

~It was suggested to me that I try "Cataclean" in it.

I have now put the Cataclean in the Avensis - run it for the suggested distance - switched off the EML and it has now come back on again.No faults stored apart from the P0420.Disconnecting the Battery also turns off the EML and leaves no faults stored. The Car is Driving fine and the EML has been on for about two year's.

My Neighbour a Taxi Driver with a similar Avensis that has approaching 400000 KMS on the Clock has the same issue with his Car for the last few Year's and it does not fail the NCT on emissions. I can live with the issue but I would prefer if I could cure the problem easily.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated..

Is Scotty Kilmers suggestion worth trying?

I love watching this guy! Have you been onto the powerenhancer web site? The Archoil products are amazing? Let me know if you want a code to save you loads of dosh?🌌

• 7 months later...

hi @ballincolllig - did u ever sort this? i have the same issue

Had same on 1.8vvti avensis.i put in 2 bottles of cataclean. (1 month after each other).turned light off 1st time it then came back on put 2nd bottle in light off and took it a good long drive at high Rev's. Never came back on.

Luckily I have not yet had this issue and I run a 1.8 vvti gs oil burner :). I would say this though that your code comes up when post cat o2 sensors pick up that your cat hasnt burnt all the gases that it should be. Where this can be an issue with the cat as well, i would also look into if you are running rich. If you are then I would suggest sorting out that condition and then worry about using cataclean to sort out the problem.

Regards,

Waqar

Apart from the Cataclean I did not try anything else. I sold the Car on as it was a number of Month's ago - (not because of the Po420 issue). My rating of Cataclean would be 0 out of 10. I was tempted at the time to try and take off the Cat but it looked rather cumbersome so I gave it a miss. I saw an interesting item on Youtube some time ago where basically by purchasing a fitting for the Cat you could withdraw the O2 sensor's so that they were out of the airflow area.

thanks all - I have had the error on twice, cleared it a weak ago and been off since, probably 500km - so fingers Xed

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links