Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Touch And Go Plus

dickfineman

Anybody got some opinions on the Touch and Go Plus system...pros and cons. Is the screen high resolution, does it have photo quality motorway junctions. With 7 digit post code...some have said yes, others have said no ? Is the bluetooth connection and media in ok ?

Many thanks,

Peter.

It does have a hi-res screen, not sure what you mean by "photo quality motorway junctions" I've not heard of that one, but the Nav brings up a view of the lane to be in on the motorway as you approach a junction and on roundabouts it shows a view of the exit to take. It does take a 7-digit postcode, providing you have the latest update applied.

I found the only downsides, compared to the old system in the Gen 3, was the loss of the HUD display from the NAV and the lack of the "Go home" voice command.

The upsides are the speed limits (and the verbal warning if you exceed them) and cameras that were not on the old system, the ability to download destinations from the Toyota portal after setting them up on the PC (albeit a very basic setting up program on the portal) and the ability to update the NAV from the Toyota portal (free for two years).

Thanks Kithmo. I think someone on the forum a while back updated the Nav and said that a nice surprise was ' photo quality ' junctions...like on the latest Garmins. I think its like an exact copy...like someone has taken a photo from the driver's seat !

Oh, i forgot to confirm, there is also a Gracenote Database on the Touch and Go Plus system...is this only for CD recognition ? Is there a hard drive for storage of music like on the Gen 3 from 2009 ? Appreciate all your knowledge...good to know it all before i go for a test drive of a PiP soon.

Many thanks again,

Peter.

I had a short experience of the updated Gen 3 which I believe has the same Touch and Go and found the main problem was that the screen wasn't as clear as the original Gen 3 and became totally unusable if the sun was shining on it. I'll be interested to hear what you think.

Just in passing, it's illegal in France to have a satnav which shows speed cameras and the police can confiscate any they find, Quite how they would do this with an integrated unit I don't know, but I believe that Toyota can supply an update without speed cameras if you are travelling to France and want to avoid any possible hassle.

I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that the show speed cameras can be turned off.

The Gracenote database works every time on original CDs that were out before the last update but it is a bit hit and miss with MP3s on CD and USB, it works sometimes then sometimes it doesn't. There is no Hard drive to store music but the Hard drive on the original Gen 3 was only small anyway and there are larger, cheaper USB sticks now so it's not really missed by me.

I agree about the reflection of the sun on the screen, also the reversing camera picture is not as clear (but that could just be a Prius+ thing).

I've just realised, I haven't been on the motorway since I last updated the NAV, now I'm going to have to go on the motorway to see these photo realistic junctions LOL.

I miss the Memo, Calender and the Maintenance reminder features of the old Gen 3, although calender can be had with the correct phone apparently.

Thanks Kithmo, appreciate the feedback. Looks like the Touch and Go + is a very good system overall.

BTW, Toyota GB seem to be under the impression that Touch & Go + does not have Gracenote, but I saw mine updating it on the Toyota portal when I updated the NAV.

BTW, Toyota GB seem to be under the impression that Touch & Go + does not have Gracenote, but I saw mine updating it on the Toyota portal when I updated the NAV.

Hiya Keith,

As you have seen on my link Toyota GB are saying no Gracenote in Europe. Can you explain to me where the Toyota portal is and how you update the NAV.

Cheers

Steve

Yes, thats correct...the people on the Toyota Blog say no Gracenote...but that was a while ago. Was it there for you when you had your car....or after the update ?

No it was not on the car it was mentioned in the owners manual and I thought it would have it on my touch and go +

One thing I find restricting is the limited way point function.

You can enter up to 5 'vias' on a journey, but as you reach each one it disappears from the list.

So if you want to do the same journey tomorrow, you have to enter them all again.

On a long Journey I still use my TomTom as I have a couple of dozen journeys saved, some of which have up to 20 way points.

I must look sad, as I also have the T&G+ on for much of the journey to get the TMC traffic info, which sometimes saves my bacon, but not always.

To answer another question, you can turn off the Speed Camera function in the options. I imagine that would satisfy any French police if you're unlucky enough to get stopped.

I have friends who still use their Portable Sat Navs because it does some extra function that the built in one doesn't. Or the portable can be updated but their built in cannot (unless they fork out a premium ). Lucky the + can be updated for free.

I have friends who still use their Portable Sat Navs because it does some extra function that the built in one doesn't. Or the portable can be updated but their built in cannot (unless they fork out a premium ). Lucky the + can be updated for free.

Hmm - wonder what it costs after the free period expires?

I think ive read on the Toyota Blog that if you have Touch or Touch and Go, it costs about £250 to update !

Anybody got some opinions on the Touch and Go Plus system...pros and cons. Is the screen high resolution, does it have photo quality motorway junctions. With 7 digit post code...some have said yes, others have said no ? Is the bluetooth connection and media in ok ?

Many thanks,

Peter.

i have only had mine for two weeks but coming from fiats blue and me system i have been very impressed with the bluetooth connection and sound quality of calls also the text messaging is very useful it allows you to read or listen to incoming texts and you can reply whilst stationary and reply using templates whilst driving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links