Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Over-Revving When Going Uphill

cabbagey

Hi all, i'm looking for some advice on what could be wrong with my 2005 Rav4 XT-R VVTI (petrol, 5 dr).

On flat ground it drives fine. The problem is when i go up (even the slightest) hill, it feels a bit sluggish then the revs just go up to 3-4, and the car drops speed and can't really go faster than 30mph. If i take the foot off the accelerator then the revs drop back to normal but when i put pressure on it again it just over revs. This is only noticable when going up hills (or bridges, dips in the road etc). It is most noticable in 3rd and 4th gear.

I've changed the air filter today, which seemed to improve things, but it is still happening. I would have thought it was a clogged fuel filter but i understand this model has an integrated, lifetime fuel filter that doesn't need to be changed at service intervals.

Any idea on what else the problem could be?

Assuming this is a manual - the clutch is slipping and needs replacing.

damn, how much is that likely to cost?

By slipping, do you mean i should be feeling something through the clutch?

The clutch connects the engine to the wheels (Well, via the gearbox) and is basically a circular friction plate held against the flywheel. When it wears out, it doesn't have enough friction to send the engine torque to the flywheel and slips, wasting energy.

I don't know what the life of a clutch generally is on a RAV4, but they don't last forever.

I'd agree it sounds like it's the clutch so get it changed ASAP.

Usually they won't just change the friction disc, but they also change the spring, the release bearing and sometimes the hydraulic slave cylinder too. Makes sense as the large part of the cost of a clutch change is the labour, so you want to change everything that needs changing around there in one go.

For my Yaris, Toyota wanted IIRC £700. Local franchise garage wanted £500, got a travelling mechanic mate of a mate to do it for £400.

Suspect it will be a bit more for a RAV4.

Get it changed asap as once they start to go they can completely fail suddenly -like when you pulling out onto a dual carriageway. Bad luck with the expense being at Xmas.

After doing some phoning around, it seems that i can get hold of a new clutch a lot cheaper than most garages would charge for one. I think they would prefer to use an original toyota part, although my faith in their durability isn't that high at the moment.

I've seen clutches range from £75 to £500+. Do you get what you pay for? Is there an alternative clutch that can be recommended?

Are you looking at full clutch kits in all cases?

A lot of the cheap ones might just be the friction plate rather than the whole kit?

A clutch will often last the life of a car - it's usually misuse that shortens their lifetime. When the clutch is changed - checks will be made for oil contamination - a leaking oil seal can cause the clutch plate to become contaminated and slip. Buy a 3 piece top brand clutch kit - eg LUK . The labour cost is quite high - it's just not worth fitting cheap clutch parts.

• Like 1

LUK are a good aftermarket kit

Alex

One mechanic told me this too. Then a different one said that LUK are now out of use, and i should be careful buying their parts. Where's the truth? What about the exedy clutch, is that one decent (it seems to be at the more expensive end of the spectrum).

LUK is part of a huge international organisation and have been manufacturing clutches for years - they're a pretty safe bet! Exedy are another good clutch manufacturer. As long as you choose a top brand at a competitive price, you'll have little to worry about.

ECP start their sale tomorrow! (According to an email I have just received) I am sure on here someone mentioned a online sub division of ECP which is cheaper, have a search of the forum and see if you can find the name.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links