Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hazards Stay On.

PW39

GLS 1.8 Auto 1999.

For some reason my hazard warning lights came on when the ignition was turned on and are now staying on regardless, they cannot be turned off, the only answer is to take the fuse out.

I put the fuse back in but the problem still persists, the fuse is now left out all of the time.

The indicators still work ok.

Any ideas please how I can cure this flashing nuisance.

Peter

Based on what you mentioned I would try a system reset.

You have to disconnect the positive and negative leads at the Battery and then touch them for 10 seconds.

This will erase modules memories and initiate a relearn sequence when power will be restored.

I'll give it a try and disconnect for 10 minutes, anything else I should watch out for when I'm doing this?

Re-read my instructions, it's ten seconds then touch the leads together.

Just take care and remove any metal such as rings and watches.

Could be a sticky relay but what I don't understand is why the hazards would be stuck on. Do they flash when you unlock the doors? If so it may be that the relay has stuck in the closed position keeping them on.

The reset is not dodgy, but it's your call...

You can always pay Mr T to do it :)

Do you mean, touch the 2 Battery leads together, won't that make a rather big bang!!!

Maybe this old timer is not understanding your instructions, what do you mean "and then touch them for 10 seconds".

Put the two wires together after you have removed them from the Battery, so no current - no bang... :)

My safety tip about jewellery was just to keep you safe.

Keep them together for 10 seconds to discharge any residual current in the circuit.

Then wire your Battery back up and test, this procedure should have reset your hazards... Simples :clap:

Thanks, hopefully I can try that tomorrow.... if it's not raining!

Thanks, hopefully I can try that tomorrow.... if it's not raining!

Now that is wishful thinking...

Peter,

I wonder if your hazard switch has broken or the alarm system is faulty.

Again I would say to check the cabling to make sure there are no shorts, or bad earthing.

It will take time but at least you can remove the fuse in the meantime.

One issue I have noticed is that when I removed the Battery terminal to remove the starter motor, there was a high pitched noise in the engine bay. I reconnected the Battery and pressed the alarm off button, then disconnected. The noise ceased.

The reason I mentioned this, is there was residual current in the system, and the idea of touching the 2 Battery terminal cables together does not sound good. I could be wrong and it works. May be my car has a minor issue?

Lets hope you fix this fault like the rear wiper. :thumbsup:

Konrad

Thanks Raistlin, I did exactly as you said and now the hazards are working as they should, great!

This forum has been very helpful for me in the past, and now the hazards and rear wiper problems solved, good forum.

The next job is fixing/securing/gluing the demister contacts to the glass of the heated rear window.

Previous forum posts seems to suggest it's a bit hit and miss and expensive for such a small problem.

Peter

• Like 1

Glad to be of service Peter... :)

As for the rear windscreen try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electro-Conductive-Adhesive-Windows-Printed/dp/B00B2U0BU6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_5

Also you could also pop in to a windscreen replacement company, see if they can give you some advice and maybe even a drop of the right glue for a small consideration.

• Like 1

Based on what you mentioned I would try a system reset.You have to disconnect the positive and negative leads at the battery and then touch them for 10 seconds.This will erase modules memories and initiate a relearn sequence when power will be restored.

Great fix. I have to admit I was concerned about residual current causing damage, but this is not the case.

After 10 years of ownership, still learning about the car.

Mine is only a '99 car compared to your '98 model Konrad.

I got my 1.8 GLS auto in 2002 and it has been incredible and still is, no major problems only a few small electrical niggles.

Still on the original exhaust, surely it has got to be one of the best cars ever made!

• Like 1

Mine is only a '99 car compared to your '98 model Konrad.

I got my 1.8 GLS auto in 2002 and it has been incredible and still is, no major problems only a few small electrical niggles.

Still on the original exhaust, surely it has got to be one of the best cars ever made!

I agree and I would always include the Carina E in the mix which was also a brilliant car ..... maybe even better!

Pete.

• Like 1

Peter,

Mine car is still on it's original exhaust too.

I have done a few more things like wheel bearings, brakes the usual service items. The body has a couple minor dings, mainly the front wing I creased in a carpark pillar.

I have the Autocar magazine with the road test. At the time, the Avensis had one of the best fuel economy of it's class, including diesels.

How many of those rivals are still running? Try and find a Peugeot 406, Ford Mondeo or Vauxhall Vectra (soory for swearing). These are the cars the motoring press were raving about, saying the Avensis is boring to drive! Who has the last laugh in the real world?

Peter, enjoy the car for a years to come . :thumbsup:

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links