Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust Spots On Bonnet?

buklau111

Hi i have a white 2011 auris. I just seen after looking closely that there are a few tiny rust spots on the bonnet. After some research its rail dust i think. Does anyone know if this is under warrenty and if so for how long does this paint warrenty last for?? 2011 auris

rail dust? what do you mean by that?

Do you mean iron fall out? if so that isnt a warranty item as it is not a defect in the paint. It will be a thin layer sitting on a car, they all will have it. look for iron x remover or something similar, I would use a clay bar after to remove the final contaminants

Alex

Taken from the Toyota website: 3 year unlimited mileage cover protects against defects and surface rust as a result of a manufacturing defect.

Doubt whether rail dust would count as a manufacturing defect - airborne contamination. By rail dust I presume you're talking about contamination of the paintwork by airborne particles of brake linings, iron particles, etc from locomotives and rolling stock - which is possible if the car has been parked regularly by a railway line.

• Like 1

Cars not 3 years old 1 month left till it is. Going to the dealer tommorow. Please keep replying.

The irone x thing, i dont get what it is? I dont have amy purple stuff like that on my car

Brought the car last month from auction. I dunno where it was parked. Currently i dont live near train station. Nearest station is 29 miles away. I dunno if its rail dust either. Just tiny tiny black rust looking dots

Never seen anything like that purple stuff before. Have heard about train brake dust being deposited and causing problems.

These dots are like for example pepper,when they are grained and you put it over your food. These dots are near about roughy half their size.

Iron x is a fall out remover, you spray it on as a clear liquid and it turns purple when it comes into contact with metal particals. You could also have tar spots on the car as we which when picked give a slight orange colour. Iron x works best of white cars.

Have a look on detailing world.com for more info.

Steps to remove would be degreaser, iron x,clay bar, wash, polish then wax

Alex

Hi, these pepper spots remind me when i used to work at Fords, Dagenham when they had a working foundry. As they forged their own engine blocks, heads etc the smoke from the big chimneys had 'fall out' and over a period of time say a white car would start to look a rust colour and the paintwork rough to the hands. The fall out from the chimneys was ferrous oxide (Rust) and because it was still technically hot as it fell through the atmosphere it would 'burn' into the cars paintwork..............workers that parked their cars close to the ex. now foundry basically their roofs, bonnet and boot ended up a rust colour and say once a year would go to the chemist and buy a certain acid which i imagine is similar to this purple stuff and it would help take the rust particles out before say a good T cutting and polish. You could never get the car as good as new but certainly did a god job unless you spent a couple of days polishing it up................perhaps in your case since the car is no longer 'living' under these conditions once you use the purple stuff and maybe buy a polishing mop and lots of T cut/polish you'll succeed in getting all what i'd imagine to be all the fall out from your paintwork......not knowing the cars history it's hard to say exactly where it has come from.

Regards Mike169

Just checked google maps prev owners house. Its deep in the country side which explains it low mileage. I really doubt and industrial buildings/railways.

It will also be caused from brake dust as well so not neceessarliy from where they live

Alex

Not likely to be a fault within the paint so therefore not under warranty. More likely a contamination of some sort which could be covered under your insurance policy

Sounds like the same thing I had all over the my last white car. On other forums it was explained as "molasses" - something that it mixed in with road salt (apparently) - not convinced though.

Mine was easily removed (with a bit of elbow grease), by applying white spirit to soften the black tar like spots, then polish off with a good wax polish.

• Like 1

I like Andy's solution above using white spirit to remove deposits, you can use traffic film remover instead but white spirit is cheaper and seems to work just as well.

A friend of mine that kept his car immaculate used to wash his car, then white spirit before polishing it and it used to shine so much as long as you like polishing as it tends to remove any old polish left on the car.

It's an almost free option as white spirit is of course cheap and apart from lots of elbow grease can only improve your car....................give it a go and let us all know how you get on.

Regards Mike169

Went to dealer..... Obviously not going to take the blame and say its '' stones''..... I dont know whwt types of stones stain rust on my less than 3 year old car -.-

Would if i could but the dealer kept the car overnight for a serviced even though it shud have been done 9:30 am when i dropped it off

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links