Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Grinding Noise When Braking At Low Speeds

Cim

Hi all :)

Avensis 2012 estate newbie question...

Grinding front brakes when coming to full stop...

The car has only done 15000 km (9320 miles) is this normal? the car brakes fine but this grinding noise is getting me concerned.

It can only be heard when you press the brake pedal slightly at very low speeds to stop and can only be heard if you really listen.

There arent any scuffs or marks on the rotors.

New pads and rotors at 15000 km ?

Hello Cim - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

As the car is a 2012 model, presumably it is still within the 3 year/100,000km new car warranty (assuming as your profile states, that you're not in the UK), so I would be inclined to take it into your dealer.

normally brakes grind if they are finished.

or discs / pads are glazed.

I cant see how you have finished the pads / discs in 10k.

Could be contaminats, in the shims, on the discs.

drive the car and slam on afew times from 70mph to 30 and then try pressing the brakes slowly, what happens?

Hello Cim - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

As the car is a 2012 model, presumably it is still within the 3 year/100,000km new car warranty (assuming as your profile states, that you're not in the UK), so I would be inclined to take it into your dealer.

Its still under warranty:) lets see what the dealer says tomorrow.

I really like this car so far... ive had Bimmers in the past this on is very comfortable..

Thank you

drive the car and slam on afew times from 70mph to 30 and then try pressing the brakes slowly, what happens?

Ive only had the car for a week now and it just got the 15000 km service done. Its been sitting in the dealers parking lot awhile before I bought it.

Im gonna do some hard braking tomorrow to see it resolves anything if it dosent off to the dealer... still under warranty:)

Thank you

Ive only had the car for a week now and it just got the 15000 km service done. Its been sitting in the dealers parking lot awhile before I bought it.

Im gonna do some hard braking tomorrow to see it resolves anything if it dosent off to the dealer... still under warranty:)

Thank you

ah sitting for a while you say, most important information left out :p

get it on the road and slam on afew times. i suspect you may have alittle surface glazing or rust.

Thank you

ah sitting for a while you say, most important information left out :P

get it on the road and slam on afew times. i suspect you may have alittle surface glazing or rust.

:oops: slam on you say hmmm will do that :D will return with my findings...

Thank you

ah sitting for a while you say, most important information left out :P

:oops: slam on you say hmmm will do that :D will return with my findings...

Please ensure that you have no other vehicles near you whilst carrying out this operation...........We do want you to return with you and your car in one piece

Maybe try to find a very quiet or closed off road :)

Hi and welcome.

In my opinion what the car really needs is new discs and pads and this will ensure the highest quality repair and i am assuming the car was purchased from a Toyota main dealer as genuine Toyota discs and pads will be far superior to some others out there. What concerns me is where the car has been sitting the part of the disc that has had the pad over it could well have some corrosion just in one area which may cause brake judder at a later date. Another idea is to simply strip all the brakes down and using a sandpaper type of stuff wrapped over a flat piece of wood or something to deglaze the pad surface and to clean up the discs themselves and i advise wearing a face mask. Of course your other option of finding a quiet straight road and really work the brakes to deglaze and derust the brakes parts BUT if the car is still under a Toyota warranty you shouldn't have to do all this and give the problem back to the dealer to repair, they have of course got their profit in the car so can afford to repair/replace as necessary. Of course it is well know cars that sit around unused deteriorate faster than a vehicle used more regularly.

Please do let us know what you decide to do and how you get on, as a general rule Toyota main dealers are very friendly and helpful and customer service is paramount.

Regards Mike169

Hi guys

Update... spoke to my old bimmer buddy and he said that there was no way the pads were already finish after only 10k... and he suggested I should give the brakes some time to work because the car has been sitting awhile... got the car 21/2/14 :) and that as you guys suggested I should do some hard braking on a closed road...

Looking at the rotors from outside they seem fine I cant see any physical scoring...

I will be taking the car to the dealer tomorrow...

almost forgot it on all four rotors there is a black line on the tip of the rotor and further in towards the wheel hub???

Cim

Hi

Finally took the car to the dealer and the "headmechanic" the boss:) took the car for a drive and also noticed this whooosssh sound and said this was normal and that the noise/vibration only occurs when the brakes arent applied fully in slower speeds and this happens when the brakes vibrate against the rotor surface... and said I had nothing to worry about :D

I mean you really need to concentrate in order to listen to the sound... maybe I have super hearing ;)

But if the noise is constant at any speeds then the brake system needs servicing...

Cim

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links