Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hill Assist Control (Auris Sport Petrol Manual)

ihearttoyota

Hi all,

I've had my Auris for 6 months, and I cannot get the Hill Assist Control to work...I wait for the 'beep', but nothing happens, and the car rolls back. I've got the Sport trim, so I'm sure it's fitted.

Has anyone known of any problems with it? Anyone use it often?

Cheers, all advice gratefully received!

According to the brochure, Hill-start Assist control is fitted to all trim levels of the Auris.

Hill-start Assist Control (HAC) helps to ensure a smooth start on steep inclines by applying the brakes for up to two seconds after the brake pedal is released. This prevents the vehicle from rolling back. It is activated by pushing the brake pedal harder after stopping, as long as the transmission shift lever is in any forward gear position.

I use hill start assist regularly. You do have to press down very hard on the brake pedal to activate it.

My 3 tips would be:

1. at first it feels like you are pressing the pedal way too hard but you get used to it.

2. don't engage it too soon as it switches itself off after a while. So at traffic lights I hold it on the foot brake initially and engage the assistance on amber just before pulling away. Once engaged you can release the pressure on the brake pedal a little but once you take your foot off completely you have the 2 seconds to move your foot to the accelerator and pull away.

3. it works well but takes a little getting used. Really, it's no better than using the handbrake - just different.

I use hill start assist regularly. You do have to press down very hard on the brake pedal to activate it.

My 3 tips would be:

1. at first it feels like you are pressing the pedal way too hard but you get used to it.

2. don't engage it too soon as it switches itself off after a while. So at traffic lights I hold it on the foot brake initially and engage the assistance on amber just before pulling away. Once engaged you can release the pressure on the brake pedal a little but once you take your foot off completely you have the 2 seconds to move your foot to the accelerator and pull away.

3. it works well but takes a little getting used. Really, it's no better than using the handbrake - just different.

Only just found this out the other day.

It's a little more useful on the MMT as they don't hold themselves like many other autos (and obviously no clutch to hold yourself), but I generally use the handbrake instead. Sometimes the HAC plain doesn't work. No amount of brake pressure will get it to engage, push it down as many times as you want. In such circumstances I find that if you try to "go" for a split second, i.e. come off the brake, let it roll a tiny bit (make sure you are in gear as if to drive off) then get back on the brake again and it will let you turn on the HAC.

Actually I think when I first got the car I was too heavy on the brake pedal when holding it at the lights or whatever and thus didn't have any travel left for whatever switch is in there for HAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers everyone, great comments.

I'm still trying to engage HAC, I roll up to lights on an incline, brake, remain in a forward-travelling gear with clutch in, push down on the foot brake hard before I intent to bring clutch to biting, and I get nothing.

I've just taken to using the handbrake instead (just like you Tim) for now, but will keep trying! It will not defeat me!

Unless you get the dealer to check it is working OK?

I don't think it is on my Auris Tourer, tried once the other day and didn't work, will check again over the weekend

Just realised your thread title says "manual" in it. I assumed the HAC was for autos, since we don't have the benefit of a clutch to hold us on hills (jumping from the brake from the accelerator as quickly as possible [and praying that the robot clutch does his job] is pretty nerve racking). Might be entirely wrong though ;D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links