Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4D 2004 T25 Sloppy Loose Gear Stick Lever

avensisd4d786

my gear stick has a lot of movement. I have replaced the gear stick lever which has improved the left and right movement.

Now I need to sort the up and down movement.

I have been told there is bushes on the gearbox side.

332077N.png

after a bit of research.

I have found three bushes.

33527B - BUSH (FOR CONTROL SHIFT LEVER)
33557-33010
x2 33534F - BUSH (FOR SELECTING BELLCRANK NO.2)
90386-12022
has anyone changed these before? any tips how to gain access or how easy to change?
I understand the gear linkage cables can get loose over time but I want to start by changing the cheapest first.
Thank you guys.

anyone?

Hello mate,

not really a common fault but maybe Devon will be able to help, I have attached a file on the manual transmission, you may already have it though.

Pete.

MANUAL TRANSMISSION & TRANSAXLE.pdf

• Like 1

1395164644337_zps94087b8b.jpg

The first item you should look at is 33821C on your schematic - these are the rubber bushes on the ends of the gear lever cables which generally wear out. The brass collar is worn to an oval shape and may explain the sloppiness (as you can see) . I never thought they were available as a separate item - they weren't listed for my MR2.

• Like 1

Thank you so much Gary, will have a look into this.

reference for anyone following: 33821C - WASHER, PLATE (FOR TRANSMISSION CONTROL CABLE

90201-08267.

Can anyone advise me on what I will have to remove to gain access to top part of the gearbox.

Hi avensisd4d786

Id check what gazza1286 has shown you first, but it may just be that your gear cables have streched and would require new cables.

Have seen diesel Toyotas do this a few times, mainly on Verso diesels though.

Hope iv been of some help.

• Like 1

Don't have a diesel - access will entail removing the air box and hose to throttle body. Battery removal will also give greater access. Once you've gained access you should be able to assess if the bush is the problem or whether the cables have streached. A second pair of hands at this point would be helpful to determine the slop within the setup.

Good luck

• Like 1

Hi avensisd4d786

Id check what gazza1286 has shown you first, but it may just be that your gear cables have streched and would require new cables.

Have seen diesel Toyotas do this a few times, mainly on Verso diesels though.

Hope iv been of some help.

Thank you Leeroy. The cables are going to be the most expensive part, and maybe a pain the in ass to change. I don't want to change them have the same problem. I rather change a bush/washer first and see where that gets me. Yes you have been helpful. any input is good to have.

Don't have a diesel - access will entail removing the air box and hose to throttle body. Battery removal will also give greater access. Once you've gained access you should be able to assess if the bush is the problem or whether the cables have streached. A second pair of hands at this point would be helpful to determine the slop within the setup.

Good luck

Thank you Gazza once again. Yes I will have a second pair of hands.

Thanks again guys :)

• Like 1

another thing is that, sometimes it can be normal then it goes loose again, like this morning before work it was all tight until I put it to 4th then to 5th, then it went back to the long travel. if the cables were stretched would it not be loose all the time. its never came out of gear.

Imran,

Thats what I asked you to check is the rubber / plastic washers. They hold the cables in place it could be that the bracket is loose. you need to check both ends

• Like 1

Hello cmia!! where have you been?

Yes you did but I just needed a second opinion whilst you were way, I still haven't got to the bottom of it, hopefully Wednesday if it does not rain.

Yes I will do, Thank you.

Hello guys, I removed the air filter housing, and made a little video of what is going on on the gearbox side. What can you see?.

There is not much room there I will have either to get underneath and take the passenger wheel off to gain access properly, any advice on what needs to be changed or looked at or how the best way to do it is welcome. :)

From the video there is clearly significant playon the gear link bushing. The camera angle isn't ideal. The bush is at the end of the gear selector cable and activates the mechanism you can see moving in the fore ground. It is held in place by a wire spring clip through a hole in a pin. This spring clip is visible slightly further away. Dead centre of the footage.

Thank you Gary. I have ordered them will hopefully crack on this weekend, I think it will be PITA for access.I will update on progress.

If you remove the under trays - car on axle stand with nearside wheel off you might be surprised how much access there is.

Good luck.

I thought that was the case but why do they appear to have their own part number?

The bushes can also be replaced using skateboard wheel bearings which are an exact match.

they dont have a part number that part number is for a metal washer.

problem guys.

I tried the skateboard/scooter wheel bearings. the gearstick was too stiff when going into gear and still had a long throw.

I decided to put the rubber ones back (originals) and used the metal new washers.

Now the gearstick is very stiff when it goes into gear, third is the worse. I have actually made the situation worse than before.

any ideas?

Maybe you need to replace the gear selector cables as suggested. Salvage ones may also have worn bushes.

I've replaced the bushes on two Toyotas successfully with skateboard bearings. It is a recognised fix. Not my original idea.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links