Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Caliper Refurb And Brake Fluid Question

Mball37

Hi All

Recently purchased Corolla T Sport 2002

Proud owner I have purchased new disc's and pads for the car and I am looking into getting all the calipers refrubished..

I am considering send all four calipers in one hit and these could well of the car for a number of days...

1. Is there a way to cap all the banjo bolts without draining the system over this period of time.... with concerns over the brake fluid levels affecting the abs pump and air getting into the system....??

2. When the calipers are returned refurbed how would I go about flushing the brake system persume from reading previous post that the two man method would be a starting point...

Any Help/Advice would be apperciated... thnx in advance

You can clamp off the hoses close to the banjo joint which stops the fluid dripping out. There are several designs, these below are the cheapest i could find as you will presumably need 3 or 4, one for each hose. If you Google 'brake hose clamps' you will see other types..............good luck! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281285450228?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

Mike169

Good morning Raistlin, i believe this type of one man bleeder requires an air compressor/air line to make it work effectively? Mike.

Hi,

Find these type of clamps very easy to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Draper-Hydraulic-Brake-Hose-Clamp-Pipe-Clamping-11534-/141205185017?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20e07c21f9

Also use that Gunson EZ Bleed, it connects to a tyre for the air pressure ( you have to let it down to 20psi first). Its then a very easy one man job.

If I was doing such a major reburb of the brakes think I might look at a refurb kit for the master cylinder.

Also assume you will be renewing the flexible hoses as well ?

Thank you so much for all your help and advice ... :clap: :clap:

All Very welcome hmmm a lot of food for thought just costing things up @ the moment... more please ...well just started to change the disc and pads rear and front and found that the front driver side caliper piston sticks and sliders are rusty, passenger side one slider rusted have not had chance to look @ the rear yet no garage so have to wait for fine weather... will be work in progress...

Not sure on clamping due to all the warnings re hose structure but will defo look @ the clamps had thought about getting a 10mm bolt a nut and a coulpe of washers to seal the banjo fitting and stop the fluid would that work or am I being silly..???

It's not the leaking fluid it's the intake of air...

Hi,

The sliders do corrode /seize but found they do clean up ok if the rust had not pitted too deep.

Use red or silicone grease on them as its rubber safe.

Think a kit of a set of 4 sliders and rubbers from Toyota not that much.

Sticking piston - again depending on the corrosion, you can clean them out and fit new seals or send them off for refurb.

Like other folk have used smooth hammerite on the calipers to give a decent finish but they soon turn black with the dust unless you intend to clean them every trip !

Well if you want an honest and without wishing to appear rude then yes you are being a bit silly over the clamps, they are designed for the job, mechanics have been using them for years and if the rubber wall of the hose were to collapse using the correct tool, whichever type, then it needed renewing anyway. Your idea of a bolt and washers may work but i personally doubt it will seal and you will loose all your fluid introducing air into the system.

About the rusty parts you need to clean them up as necessary, wire brush, emery cloth etc and the sliders will require a lubricant like 'Copperslip', you can get it from most car spares as it is very popular and commonly heard of.

Don't pump the brake pedal with any brake stripped down or you will pop out a piston and then you will start getting into trouble and i hope you manage to squeeze the caliper pistons back ok, large pipe grips or a big G clamp usually does the trick, there are of course purpose built tools for the job but they all do the same job.

The rears may be different, can you describe what type of rear brakes you have?

Good luck, Mike169

Have not looked @the rear brakes as yet ... this weekend will let you know the out come on that... thanks again for all members helpful advice...

this is thefirst time i have ever changed pads,disc and calipers ... so more advice welcome...

These are disc brakes not drum again i will check this weekend on the full condition then make a decsion on whether to send for refurb or complete the job myself.....everyday a learning day...

wire brush already purchased will also look @ getting a drill wire brush.. not worried to much about pimping just want them in good fully working order more than anything...clean after every trip is a bit to much for my liking..

again thank you all..

Hi,

You will find that your Rears are in fact a combined 'disc' unit comprising of discs and pads and a drum for the handbrake shoes.

Unless badly looked after, the brake shoes should be ok, however getting the disc/drum off can be difficult if the drum has worn.

You may need to 'release' the shoes by backing off the adjuster.

Try and only use hand pressure to ease the disc off, bashing it with a hammer is more likely to damage the disc or break the shoes securing pins.

This is where a decent manual will really help you ...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links