Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Steering

DAVEXT5

Hi all

After getting my Rav4 2.2 D-4D XT5 today and driving it a on some bumpy roads when I am turning the steering when going slow (Parking) it has like a clunking noise when turning.

Any ideas as if a problem i'm worried as just got it :nono:

Given the year of the vehicle - this could well be the classic case of a clunking intermediate steering shaft. It happens mostly when manoeuvring slowly and can be a click or clunk noise which in some cases can be felt through the steering wheel. There was a TSB on the fault and a good tutorial on this forum on fitting a new shaft. If the car is under warranty then replacing the shaft with the updated version may be the way to go. If it's for your own account, it's quite an expensive job but there is an easy fix in most cases. Essentially you remove the clamp bolt on the shaft and use spline retaining compound on the splines of the shaft before torquing the clamp bolt. This improves the fit of the spines so no more noise when the joint is turned under load.

Given the year of the vehicle - this could well be the classic case of a clunking intermediate steering shaft. It happens mostly when manoeuvring slowly and can be a click or clunk noise which in some cases can be felt through the steering wheel. There was a TSB on the fault and a good tutorial on this forum on fitting a new shaft. If the car is under warranty then replacing the shaft with the updated version may be the way to go. If it's for your own account, it's quite an expensive job but there is an easy fix in most cases. Essentially you remove the clamp bolt on the shaft and use spline retaining compound on the splines of the shaft before torquing the clamp bolt. This improves the fit of the spines so no more noise when the joint is turned under load.

TSB on the fault?

Where is the tutorial?

Spline retaining compound?

Like many others on this forum,I'm quite happy to help anyone, but I, for one will not respond to a curt list of demands and not a please or thank you in sight!

• Like 1

Like many others on this forum,I'm quite happy to help anyone, but I, for one will not respond to a curt list of demands and not a please or thank you in sight!

Was not meant like that if it was then sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about and am annoyed that after 3 hrs of buying the Rav4 I get this issue.

So am looking for a fix

The first thing to say is that this issue is an annoyance rather than a safety related problem - many Rav owners have had the clunk for a while and just tolerate it. You'll find the details for replacing the intermediate shaft in the pinned section at the beginning of the Rav4 forum. Go to technical hints and tips and the article is near the bottom of the 4.3 list. If you search "intermediate steering shaft" - theres loads of previous info.

If you wan't to remedy the problem quickly and cheaply, use spline or bearing retainer. Theres loads of different ones and you'll need a low to moderate bond type with a reasonable setting time and a low viscocity so it will flow into the splines. Something like Loctite 648 will be fine. Remove the clamp bolt after marking it's position and wedge open the splined joint. Apply the compound to both sets of splines, allow to flow down the splines and tighten the bolt a few degrees beyond it's previous position.

• Like 1

Check out youtube video rav4 intermediate steering shaft fix.

A quick update on this thread, I now have my Rav4 booked in to sort the clunking noise.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links