Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tappets

JASPNEY

Hi guys, im new to this forum so i have had a little look around and found some similar questions to mine but not quite

I have 2 yaris a mk1 and a mk2 and its the mk2 thats causing a fault

when labouring the engine does sound like its pinking badly or the tappets need adjusting

The main dealer serviced the car when under warrenty and cured this problem before.

They told me that the tappets needed shims which had to be ordered , as this was covered under warrenty i didnt worry but when i recently told my local garage about this as its happenening again the mechanic told me they were having me on

any body know

Jaspney

Hi Richard, to be honest i think you are being fobbed off!

Mike169

Hi guys, im new to this forum so i have had a little look around and found some similar questions to mine but not quite

I have 2 yaris a mk1 and a mk2 and its the mk2 thats causing a fault

when labouring the engine does sound like its pinking badly or the tappets need adjusting

The main dealer serviced the car when under warrenty and cured this problem before.

They told me that the tappets needed shims which had to be ordered , as this was covered under warrenty i didnt worry but when i recently told my local garage about this as its happenening again the mechanic told me they were having me on

any body know

Jaspney

Your car has hydraulic tappets however the clearance between the tappet and camshaft can vary so there are various sized tappets to ensure the clearance is correct, this is what your Toyota dealer would have swapped/replaced to cure the tappety noise. Toyota state that valve clearance should be audibly checked every 40,000miles and adjusted as required.

Is your local repairer saying there is no such thing as a sized tappet or that the noise is/was not tappet related?

Also the 1.3 Yaris can suffer from a metallic chattering noise when the engine is under load espescially when cold, this is actually caused by the Aux belt and a modified belt part # 99366-K1770 is fitted with a new tension of 6.5-7.5mm at 98N.

There are 58 sized tappets sized from 5.12 to 5.66 .

post-45863-0-72063300-1396558790_thumb.p