Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Issues...again

lucas89

Hi guys.

Could do with some advice.

In October last year (2013) I purchased a t180 from a local car supermarket with 77k on the clock. After a month I realised the coolant was spitting out but no overheating. Long story short it turned out the head gasket had gone (backed up by finding a post 4 months earlier from the previous owner on Facebook saying she had just been told this which was brilliant to find as it meant the garage could get her as they make you sign something saying you know of no faults with the car when trading it in) and the garage replaced the head gasket skimmed and pressure tested the head and all was fine.

Noticed today (6 months later) that there is some 'oily soot' in the coolant tank. Have done a bit of research and sounds like it could be the same problem again. Would I be right in thinking this? Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be great. :)

It could well be a failed head gasket - further confirmatory work required. You've probably read about the issues with Rav4 diesels of this era and essentially a failed head gasket is one of a number of possible symptoms. Any other symptoms on your car such as high engine oil consumption or blockage of the EGR system? Toyota introduced an extended warranty on affected vehicles and the solution was to replace the engine. Unfortunately your car is outside the extended warranty period.

Head gasket failure is just a symptom of the issues with this engine and just replacing the gasket etc is no guarantee that the failure will not recur. What's the position with respect to the warranty from the car supermarket? Theres also an argument that the repair "failed" after only 6 months, xxx miles - but might be a difficult one to progress. It's important to establish whether there are other symptoms and it still might be worth discussing with the car supermarket.

thanks for the reply,

firstly the supermarket were fantastic because the owner guaranteed the work for the duration of my finance which was 4 years so I have no hesitation in going in to discuss things with him.

bit of a development this evening though, went to take the car out, got 1 mile down the road and had a load of warning lights come up with 3 messages; CHECK 4WD SYETEM, CHECK ENGINE SYETEM and CHECK VSC SYSTEM.

needless to say I am going back tomorrow with a view to handing the car back.

will keep you posted as to how things go but the owner of the supermarket did say if in 6 months I wasn't happy to go back and see him, which is funny as its 6 months since the repair was completed.

also I should point out that in the 7 months I have had the car, I have had replaced; steering knuckle joint, drop link bar, suspension top mount and a shock absorber. all done with no hesitation so I would recommend the garage to anyone as I see it as not their fault that the car was traded in to them.

will let you know how tomorrow goes....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links