Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Handbrake Adjustment

muddymanuk

Hi Guys, I have a couple of questions.

I am about to replace the discs and pads all round on my 2005 T25 2.2D4D estate, I understand to remove the rear discs that let the handbrake off then loosen off the handbrake pads through the rubber grommet inspection hole until the disc spins freely.

First question, do l need to use bolts to release the discs or will a gentle tap do the job ?

Second question, once l've replaced the discs, do I tighten the adjustment screw fully, then just release it slightly so it spins freely, or do the pads need to very slightly rub on the inside of the discs ?

Regards,

Nick.

A gentle tap - increasing in stages to a big whack will do it. I've never been a fan of the bolts technique. On the times I've tried it the threads have stripped. Use some copper grease on the face of the hub when replacing the disc.

The adjustment of the shoes is a bit of a black art. You should be aiming for balance across rear wheels. It is trial and error. Ensure that the rear of the car is raised. During the adjustment process set the brake lever a few clicks up which will give you an indication of grab when trying to turn the disc.

Thanks Gary :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links