Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oxy Sensor Probs

bluetoy

Hi Guys.. need some help here.

I have a 1998 Avensis 1.8 (lean burn engine) . For the past couple years the car has just past its test on the emissions test . The tester advised this time round that as the car was running with high co2 levels he recommended the oxy sensor be replaced as the cat had already been replaced recently. I was in fact smelling the fumes when winding down my drivers window and the car was running a bit rough so I thought I would invest in an aftermarket sensor. I bought and replaced the sensor. and the engine was running a lot better and there was no rich smelling fumes from the exhaust. Cracked it I thought.. Nope... the car was running fine but the eml came on 15/20 mls after fitting the sensor. I disconnected Battery in case there was a fault code stored (which is supposed to erase the code) and again drove 15/20 miles and the light came on again. (this apparently was when I was decelerating or speeding up) sometimes the light would go out and then come back on. I switched off engine an recycled and the light would go out until driven for a couple of miles then come back on. I took the car to the local garage who put the code reader on and it read No 1 bank oxy sensor heater circuit faulty.

I refitted the old sensor and drove to the motor factors 12 miles away where I purchased it to get a replacement (no light came on).... he was reluctant to do so as I didn't have the fault code (the tool used didn't give a code) but after some persuasion he replaced it.. I was outside the shop and replaced the old one with the new one again. Drove home and did about 30/40 mls thought I had cracked it and low and behold the light came on again. Put the old one back in.... drove for about 30/40 miles ..... no light.. tried again with new one... did about 12mls... light came on....

After reading similar posts I decided to go on e bay to see if I could get a code reader. but apparently some look cheap and nasty for around 7/8pounds + same again for postage. I decided I would look at a decent one (free postage) for around £20. but all the readers I could find only suitable for petrol cars 2001 onwards. Does anyone know where I can get a reader for my car (1998). Or has anyone had this problem b4?

• 2 months later...

Any update on your sensor problem. What is your outcome?

I dont think your car complies with OBDII so I think there isnt a reader for it. I think you need to find the diagnostics port on your car (Konrad can tell you where it is) and then jump the pins using a paper clip or something. This should result in your abs light flashing with a gap to separate two digit code. I.e. 21 would be two blink and a long pause and then one?????? pm konrad his id is Konrad C who has more knowledge about your car. I personally think its definitely a new dodgy o2 sensor. Please use original denso one these things are worth investing in.

Regards,

Waqar

I dont think your car complies with OBDII so I think there isnt a reader for it. I think you need to find the diagnostics port on your car (Konrad can tell you where it is) and then jump the pins using a paper clip or something. This should result in your abs light flashing with a gap to separate two digit code. I.e. 21 would be two blink and a long pause and then one?????? pm konrad his id is Konrad C who has more knowledge about your car. I personally think its definitely a new dodgy o2 sensor. Please use original denso one these things are worth investing in.

Regards,

Waqar

Hi Waqar.

Bluetoy has another post to this. He has already done the paper clip test, so is aware of the problem. This issue is that the sensors he has bought were not compatible. He needed to get a refund and the supplier wanted proof. I only use Denso designed for lean-burn.

Thinking about his original problem, I think the HT leads needed checking. Make sure they are clicking firmly on to the spark plugs. Also the spark plugs themselves are in good order. My car had similar running problems and it was cause by third party HT leads.

The misfire means the fuel is not burnt properly, giving the symptoms of rough running and fuel smell.

Hopefully he has resolved all the issues.

Konrad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links