Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Issue On 03 Toyota Yaris

Pheasant

Hi there Have an 03 Toyota Yaris 1.4 Diesel with a steering problem. It has been getting progessivly worse over the last 8 weeks. 6 weeks ago it passed its MOT despite me asking them to pay particular attention to that area. The problem is best described as a wobbly when powering out of a bend and has now developed into a serious pull with a pronounced clonk. I took it into my local garage and after spending nearly an hour on it could find nothing wrong with steering and suggested the CV/drive shaft. After further investigation they think the differential has failed causing one wheel to drag on a bend, with the clonking noise due to missing teeth.

Before I go the route of fitting a 2nd hand gearbox do you think this is the case or is it the 'known' problem with the electric steering rack ??

Thanks everso

they think the differential has failed

They think?

My advice to you is don't throw parts at something without being sure what the problem is.

I don't think there are any 'known' issues with the power steering. You can test a normal open diff by jacking up the car so both front wheels are off the ground, and then turning one of them; The other should rotate in the opposite direction by the same amount. I'd at least get the garage to check that before the replacing route!

If it's failed the other wheel should stop rotating where teeth are missing, or change direction if it's getting jammed somehow.

Thanks everso for info so far - will check that this morn

regards

Hi again, the story so far. Car is on stands and in gear.

1. Wheels straight ahead, turn offside wheel and nearside wheel does not move.

2. Full right lock, turn offside wheel and nearside wheel does not turn.

3. Full left lock, turn offside wheel - nearside wheel turns opp direction for couple of turns, then goes very tight, clonk from middle somewhere and then no more movement on nearside wheel.

repeat and same

Colin

Assuming both wheels were free wheeling and a brake isn't stuck on, that seems pretty conclusive that the diff has gone :(

First time I remember reading this happen with a 1.4 D4D in this forum!!

Thanks for all the support - 2nd had transmission is now ordered !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links