Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition Key - Not Turning

Lucy Locket

I've only recently purchased a 1999 Avensis (Luna) - the ignition key has gotten stuck twice when trying to turn the engine over - has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, was it resolvable? And how?

When you put the key in and try to turn it does it not turn? or does it turn a bit then stop??

Do you have a grey ignition key with your car? Last year my car had this same problem I used the grey key ( it is used to open all doors apart from the boot ) and this started the car I cannot explain why all I know is that it worked might be worth giving it a go :thumbsup:

Thanks, the issue I guess is that it's only happened twice, and I was wondering is it maybe just a case of oiling? I've been using the same key since I got the car a fortnight ago, it's the black one, that operates all the central locking and the boot.

I also had this same problem again last month :lol::lol:

I have No idea why it happens only that the grey key fixes it in my car :thumbsup:

You might have an immobilizer in the key that could be going wrong dead Battery??

I've to bring it back to the garage at the weekend to get a new wingmirror, so I'll ask them about that - many thanks for your help.

Hi all, just to advise that i got my locked key problem sorted - apparently when the steering lock is on - the key won't turn, you need to nudge the wheel a little in the direction of the key to unlock the key!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links