Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Suspension Rattle First Thing In Mornings.

Ironbeard

Currently have a 2006 XI (JDM) Avensis wagon

When setting off from my garage first thing in the morning, I can hear clunking or loose rattling that appear to be coming from the front of the suspension when going over minor bumps and dips. Steering left or right does not appear to affect the noise. The noise tapers off (disappears) completely after driving for 10 minutes and does not return during the day (Seems to only occur in the first 10 minutes in the morning).

Will be carefully propping the car up jack stands and having a look underneath. But any clues as to what this might be and what to look out for? Ball joints?

Cheers.

See if the noise goes away if you lightly press the brakes. The slider pins wear and allow the caliper to move sideways. I can't explain why it would only happen when cold, but worth a shot anyway.

Thanks Alan, examining the sound this morning it still seems to happen when coming to a stop at traffic lights (Lightly pressing the brakes and passing over a minor dip in the street)

Had a look underneath last night, couldn't find anything immediately obvious. There wasn't any (unusual) play in the suspension components that I could see.

Anyway, I noticed as part of the car's apparent start up process (ever since I've had the car), there is routinely a single subtle "creak" noise like if some sort of Flap is closing / engaging about a minute after starting the car and driving off in the mornings. Does anyone know what this is and what it could be engaging as part of the routine start up sequence?

After listening closely as I was driving out this morning, The rattling was not immediately apparent, but once this creak / "flap closing" noise happened, this loose / rattling sound immediately commenced as I was driving down the brick paved street.

Cheers,

I have a sort of "light clunk" noise on my T27 after setting off. I now believe it to be when reaching 10mph or so, when the auto door locking would operate (if I hadn't disabled it). I didn't think the T25 had auto door locking tho.

My money is on worn brake pins for the rattle noise. As for the creak, if it isn't affecting the way the car drives ignore it, or turn the radio up a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thanks for everyone's replies,

My money is on worn brake pins for the rattle noise. As for the creak, if it isn't affecting the way the car drives ignore it, or turn the radio up a bit!

Pretty much what it has come down to. Checked over it several times. Got my regular mechanic to check over it, he couldn't fault anything or pin down what is making the noise and why. Mechanic has just gone and thoroughly inspected that nothing is likely to fall out from the underbody and we're leaving it as is for now. Doesn't appear to be getting worse which is a good thing nor is driveablity affected in any way, but will continue monitoring it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links