Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 1.8 Valvematic Engine Noise

lee8810

I have just purchased a 2011 toyota avensis 1.8 valvematic multidrive s and love it but i am a little concerned about the engine noise at idle as it seems to almost give a slight knock. the car has only done 12000 with full dealer history. i have done a search on youtube and found one on there which sounds similar but wondered if anybody else has noticed this noise. any help would be really helpful as i have only had the car 1 week.

Isn't it clicking actually? If yes - it is normal.

There are a few similar reports on this forum. It sounds similar to the old fashioned tappet noise. I noticed it before a first service so reported it at that time. The dealer, who have been excellent so far, said there was nothing untoward. It has not got any worse since I've had the car and most of the time I don't notice it.

I have the Auris with the 1.6 valvematic engine. As you may know these engines have a chain driven camshaft and have variable valve timing which is why they make this noise when on idle. At least that's what I believe!!

Mine has 20000 on the clock and runs like clockwork, only hearing this noise at idle. I think you can be happy that it is normal.

i just wish if this is normal that i could listen to somebody elses so i could compare them. i dont suppose anybody could send me a recording of there could they ??

I will post mine later today after I get back from the supermarket .

that would be great if you could. which model do you have ?

that would be great if you could. which model do you have ?

2014 Avensis T27 1.8 Valvematic with about 3000 km on the clock.

This is mine!

Sounds like a bag of nails this close but is fine with a few more revs. this was at idle on warm engine about 700rpm.

Isn't that tapping too strong? Have you been to Toyota for inspection?

Thought someone may say that!

Mileage now 20,000 I have done10,000 of that. Car is serviced by same Toyota main dealer from new and has always sounded like that. Totally reliable and returns about 42 mpg at 70/80 mph on motorway.

Keep in mind that is recorded on phone very close to engine cover.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links