Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Iq Diesel D4D

kai3747

hi guys ,can anyone help me to find the diesel edition of iq ? i found in belgium but are left handed , are there any right handed ????

Are you UK based?

They were never supplied to the UK so I think you'll be hard pushed to find a right hand drive one. Not sure if you could convert one to right hand drive, Be a lot of work though, replacement dash, steering rack, pedals Etc.

Craig.

The diesel IQ was never imported into the UK for much the same reasons why the diesel Aygo was dropped from the UK market - not much more economical than the 1.0 litre petrol version and with diesel fuel being more expensive in the UK, there were too few advantages.

Conversion to right hand drive would probably not be economically viable.

Production of the diesel IQ ended in April 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

A great car. So short sighted of Toyota uk not to import it. I drove one is Spain and it was seriously good fun to drive. It felt seriously quick! Toyota seem to put logic before driving pleasure. My Auris is testament to this alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Well it'll never happen now for the following reasons;

1, The IQ has been pulled from Europe

2, The new emission requirements for Euro 6 diesel means that the costs will now be significant to have a diesel option. Diesels are generally about a £1,000 more expensive, diesel fuel is more expensive and emission legislation is now meaning it will cost much more to make them comply.

Not preaching here, just an observation for you, but one diesel car (Yaris, Auris, Fiesta, Peugeot 307 etc) that complies with Euro5 emissions (2009-2015) will emit 20 times more harmful NOx than a similar aged petrol. Amend that to the older Euro 4 emissions that ran from 2005-2009 and a diesel car emits about 200 times more NOx than a petrol car of that same era. That alone might not bother you but if your kids or grandkids have asthma then a diesel car isn't helping. Changing from a diesel to a same aged petrol car is almost like taking between 20 & 200 cars off the road. It's an interesting thought to have next time you're sat in a city with a grey smog hanging over it.

To add balance though. The latest Euro 6 diesels virtually match petrol for NOx, so that is a forward step. But that has only just come in to effect from now for NEWLY released models and will apply to all new cars next year. The emission equipment is complex, expensive and involves the injection of urea etc.

• Like 1

Isn't itstrange how when I started driving in 1986, the only diesels around were lorry's, trucks and Black Cabs. Diesel was cheaper than petrol by a fair amount back then as well if memory serves me right.

So how come, now there are a lot more diesel cars on the road, why is it now more expensive than petrol?

(said with sarcasm)

• Like 1

Because the Government are actually now trying to discourage its use and make the air quality in our cities improve again.

Emissions were high in the 1980's in cities due to no emission control and leaded petrol use. Diesels were nasty then but there were also less of them. Then catalytic converters came out for petrol cars and city emissions dropped, quite noticeably. Then the Government of the day decided to reduce CO2 emissions and as diesel cars are more economical, they thought encouraging their use would help reduce CO2. It did. But it also pumped out significant quantities of NOx, much more than they had anticipated (see above figures of an early 2000 year diesel pumping out 200x more NOx than a petrol). This caused an increase is smog pollution, acid rain and A&E admissions on hot smoggy days. Things had reversed.

That's why red ken introduced the CCZ as hybrids and lpg only. Because their emissions are 200 times lower than a diesel and with a hybrid, the engine isn't running in stationary or slow moving traffic.

But the bias is still out there that diesel is 'green'. It really is anything but green other than it pumps out less CO2 per gallon than petrol, but also pumps out 200x more nasties at street level.

The UK Government have actually realised the diesel poison and are pricing it to discourage its use. It is handy to fuel a motorway rep or a truck or a train, but a small diesel in a city is the wrong choice. France and Germany still encourage diesels as their car industry is based on it. Diesels passenger cars don't sell anywhere else in the civilised world for good reason.

Oh and another little factoid. Clarkson always likes to point to the chemicals in a hybrid Battery or how they use 'rare' earth metals and say how they're killing the world and that hydrogen is the fuel of the future. Guess what every fuel cell hydrogen car has in it? Go on, have a guess? Yep, it has a 20-30 mile range HV Battery! Why? Because fuel cells need to warm up or don't work well below 0c and thus need a Battery to propel them during the warm up period. The fuel cell vehicle still isn't here for sale yet. Wanna know why? Because a fuel cell costs between £50,000 and £100,000 each. Why does it cost that? Because it has s**t loads of platinum and other rare metals in it. Imagine, that's about £30,000 of platinum sat in a car. How long before the scrap metal thieves work that one out? Not long me thinks. Think theft of catalytic converters is rife? Wait til you have a car with £30k worth of precious metal sat in it.

And that's before we get onto storage problems of hydrogen or how it's made.

So plug in hybrids are the future for long range cars and BEVs an alternative. A £100,000 fuel cell car with nowhere to fill it makes a £50,000 200+ mile totally electric Tesla S look positively cheap.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/fuel-cell2.htm

Don't think diesels started to become popular until the late 80's/early 90's - when diesel versions and especially turbo-diesel versions, of cars like the Peugeot 205/309/405 and the VAG 1.9TDi engines were introduced in cars like the Golf, Passat, various Audis, etc.

So plug in hybrids are the future for long range cars and BEVs an alternative.

I looked at hybrids recently (the Honda Jazz to be precise) because of the significantly reduced fuel consumption, but when I found that the cost of Battery leasing was as much as I was paying in fuel at that time, they became a non-starter. I ended up with the petrol iQ and now think that (largely by fluke) I couldn't have made a better choice. I'll take another look at hybrids if and when the Battery technology improves.

So plug in hybrids are the future for long range cars and BEVs an alternative.

I looked at hybrids recently (the Honda Jazz to be precise) because of the significantly reduced fuel consumption, but when I found that the cost of Battery leasing was as much as I was paying in fuel at that time, they became a non-starter. I ended up with the petrol iQ and now think that (largely by fluke) I couldn't have made a better choice. I'll take another look at hybrids if and when the Battery technology improves.

You're right. Battery leasing is a fools game and if you read a Renault or Nissan forum, you'll find it is causing significant issues with insurance, insured value of the car (how can an empty Shell be worth £16k?) and also making the car impossible to sell on. Would you want to buy a car with an open ended battery lease at a minimum of £70 per month? Me neither. Not so bad in the early days but when the car is 5 years old and worth £4,000 yet you'll be paying £900 a year for a battery you don't own - crazy. But other electric car manufacturers (and Nissan who offer both systems) don't require you to lease the battery. You own it.

Also, hybrids don't require the battery to be leased, nor plug in hybrids. They cost more for sure and any savings are difficult to justify at this time. But if fuel savings were the only reason people bought a car, then Ferrari's, Range Rovers and similar would disappear overnight. There are other reasons people buy cars other than to save fuel. Some people like electric cars for many other reasons and if you've ever driven one you might be converted. If one wanted the cheapest transport out there, you'd buy a £500 Mondeo and run it into the ground.

Battery technology has improved. Without doing a massive post to explain how the batteries work, I'll just say that a battery in a car and a battery in your phone are two totally different things - totally. It's like comparing a Ford Fiesta against a Formula One car, they both have four wheels and an engine yes? The battery in a hybrid is well managed using a computer and software. It is never, ever discharged below 40% and never charged above 65% and will usually sit around the 55%-60% mark - just using that small 5% area. A mobile phone battery is relatively cheap and disposable. You charge it to 100% and let it run down to about 15% before charging and thus it has a life of about 18 months. If a hybrid did the same, it too would last about 1500 cycles and die at huge expense. If a mobile phone only used the same cycling as a hybrid 40%-65%, it would last tens of thousands of cycles and would last years, but your standby time would only be a couple of hours. No use for a phone. Hope that explains it. It's much more complicated that this but effectively the hybrid only uses 20% of the battery to allow it to last 10 years+.

My HV battery is at 5 years and 80,000 miles and has had hard taxi town miles for 60,000 of those. The HV battery is totally fine and Toyota now do a hybrid health check and mine passed with flying colours (and got my warranty extended). The benefit of this check (which is free with a main dealer service) is that your battery is now warranted upto 11 years/unlimited mileage, obviously if you get it done every 12 months or 10k miles. Peace of mind for a private owner and those buying second hand.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/service-and-maintenance/hybrid-health-check

Toyota hybrids are much more superior to Honda hybrids. There's nothing to compare between the two. Toyota hybrids beat Hondas on fuel economy, performance, warranty length etc, though I do like the styling of Honda.

Hybrid batteries are totally different to the newer li-ion electric car and plug in car batteries. These new ones are meant to be OK for 10 years or over 100,000 miles and early indications are that they will be. The Nissan Leaf has a battery capacity bar with a range of 12 bars. Owners at 50,000 miles are reporting that their first bar has just disappeared, leaving 11 to go. That bodes well for future longevity.

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/washington-nissan-leaf-owner-celebrates-100-000-all-electric-miles

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't think there was a diesel IQ; Is it using the Toyota D4D??? It must be like a rocket ship!!! :lol:

The reason the Aygo diesel tanked was because they used a terrible PSA diesel engine instead of the Toyota one - It was more expensive, but slower than the 1.0VVTi, had less horsepower than the 1.0, not that much more torque and somehow had worse mpg too IIRC; Why would anyone want that??

The Toyota equivalent, also a 1.4, would have blown the 1.0VVTi out of the water if they put it in an Aygo - More horses, nearly twice the torque, higher top speed and better acceleration, plus strong mpgs; I reckon it could rate 65-70mpg in such a lightweight car!

To this day I don't understand why they didn't use the Toyota unit; I can only assume it was cost-related, since the 1.4D4D is worth a lot more than the 1.0VVTi and would have upped the price a good chunk. It's not a huge loss since the Aygo is a city car through and through, and while having spades of torque for accelerating would be lots of fun, it's not really essential for pottering around jammed city roads!

Yes the IQ diesel used the Toyota 1.4 D4D.

Think as the Aygo is a Joint Venture between Toyota and PSA there was probably some pressure within the Joint Venture to use the PSA diesel engine.

Also, hybrids don't require the battery to be leased, nor plug in hybrids. They cost more for sure and any savings are difficult to justify at this time. But if fuel savings were the only reason people bought a car, then Ferrari's, Range Rovers and similar would disappear overnight. There are other reasons people buy cars other than to save fuel. Some people like electric cars for many other reasons and if you've ever driven one you might be converted. If one wanted the cheapest transport out there, you'd buy a £500 Mondeo and run it into the ground.

Yes, the Mondeo idea is more my style, but I can't be bothered nursing a car through its end-days any more so I went for something reliable. With insufficient funds for a new car, even with a government discount for electric cars, the electrics and hybrids are still very pricy to buy new. And if you want to own the Battery to avoid the ridiculous leasing charges it's an extra five grand on top of that. An all-electric would be best for the kind of driving I do, so the idea is great, but it'll have to wait until they get far more competitive. With the oil situation as it is that might not be too many years ahead.

Yeah all this orchestrated Iraq nonsense will see to an increase I'm sure.

I remember back in 2009 when I got the Prius and petrol was 99p a litre, and I thought that if petrol went to £1.15 I could just about remain viable in the taxi business and if it got to £1.20 then I'd have to call it a day as a 20% increase was just unexpected. Little did I realise that within a couple years it would be at £1.45.

On that note I'm considering chopping in the Prius for a second hand Leaf so long as I can get a good one for £9,000. The Prius is holding its value well and I wouldn't need to make up much to swap it. I need a Leaf sized car, but the Mitsubishi i cars are about £8,000 for a 1 or 2 year old example with 2k miles. That is a bargain if it will work for your use. Mrs Cabbie would be having one if she didn't love the IQ so much.

Mrs Cabbie would be having one if she didn't love the IQ so much.

I'm with Mrs Cabbie on that.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links