Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Head Gasket/engine Oil Consumption Issues

Nuzy

Hi everyone

So after my engine failed on my 2007 2.2l T180 D-4D Avensis due to high oil consumption I have decided to purchase a reconditioned engine as I just missed out on the extended warranty. What I really want to know is if anybody has any idea just how many of these Toyota Avensis engines are likely to be affected by head gasket failure or excessive oil consumption? In other words in buying this reconditioned engine what is the likelihood for me to run into the same issues again somewhere down the line.

Thanks a lot for any help

Sorry to bump up this thread, what I am basically trying to evaluate is whether or not I should sell my car after its repaired or whether its worth me taking the risk and keeping it?? You guys know a lot more about this than I do, I'm not sure whether its worth the risk to keep it? Is it literally the case that the majority of these T180 D-4D 2.2l diesel engines fail after 60-70 thousand miles? or is it just a small proportion that go on to develop problems.

Thanks a lot for any help

I think its only a minority that fail but these are the ones that we hear about.

Pete.

Thanks a lot Pete, I see that you have a 2.2 D4-D Avensis as well, I was wondering if you have had any problems with your engine as well?

Who is reconditioning & guaranteeing the engine?

Afaik Toyota says that you can not skim these & they are not selling the warranty replacement units separately.

My guess is that under 5% of these engines fail with this fault.

Also, I suspect that pro rata more 177bhps 2.2 fail than 150bhp 2.2s & the 2.0 probably has a lower failure rate than either.

But only Toyota really know & they are not about to divulge that publicly.

Thanks a lot Scott, in the end I decided against the reconditioned engine and went for a used engine which was sourced by my local mechanic. Did some research online and was a little skeptical about the benefits of a reconditioned engine in particular about how much of the engine would actually be reconditioned, I heard it could potentially only be a few parts. I suppose we will never really know what percentage of these engines fail but I hope your right in your estimation, I was fearing it would be a lot higher.

My 2006 T180 is on 93K and no issues.....yet BUT I took out a Toyota Extended Warranty just in case

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links